UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Roman Recipe To Delight All

Pertinax

There is a substantial "foodie" thread to trawl through here, with many delights and excursions:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...er+roman+recipe

indeed this thread might end up "consumed " by it.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great coalescence of threads brings food matters together!

I regret that work commitments keep me from the bosom of my friends here on the Forum, so although I have been unable to visit or contribute heavily as the great Frenzy of the Solstice approaches, I have kept a little time and room in my heart for all things Roman.

As time is precious I offer a simple recipe for Flamingo ,( though parrot will do just as well). Originally from Apicius this is via Faas:

Pluck your Flamingo well, wash the animal , tie the legs and loose neck firmly to the body. Place the trussed bird in a sturdy pot. Add water, dilll and a little fragrant vinegar. When the mix is half cooked add a bundle of leek and coriander leaves. When almost ready add garum to taste.

Meantime in the mortar : pound up pepper , cummin , coriander , laser ( extinct of course- try a little rue or asafoetida), mint. Mix these well add vinegar and a few dates . Add this mix to the pot. add amulum (sauce thickener-I have a Roman recipe to follow) . Serve the Flamingo!

I regret that work commitments keep me from the bosom of my friends here on the Forum, so although I have been unable to visit or contribute heavily as the great Frenzy of the Solstice approaches, I have kept a little time and room in my heart for all things Roman.

As time is precious I offer a simple recipe for Flamingo ,( though parrot will do just as well). Originally from Apicius this is via Faas:

Pluck your Flamingo well, wash the animal , tie the legs and loose neck firmly to the body. Place the trussed bird in a sturdy pot. Add water, dilll and a little fragrant vinegar. When the mix is half cooked add a bundle of leek and coriander leaves. When almost ready add garum to taste.

Meantime in the mortar : pound up pepper , cummin , coriander , laser ( extinct of course- try a little rue or asafoetida), mint. Mix these well add vinegar and a few dates . Add this mix to the pot. add amulum (sauce thickener-I have a Roman recipe to follow) . Serve the Flamingo!

You forgot that important first sentence, Pertinax: First catch your flamingo.

:lol: I knew there might be a catch. OK , for those not in Leptis Magna I suggest that guinea fowl might be an acceptable substitute. Do not use macaws or budgies, as they are apt to squawk when throttled.

Which rather neatly obliges me to ask if you are aware of any Roman recipes for terrine of songbirds?

• 2 weeks later...

Click on 'Tastes of Ancient Rome'. Might be of interest. Click on 'Archives', then 'Uncovering the Truth' for 12/18/06.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/2006/12

:D

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Aha , nice link Edmund, may I hint that Sally Grainger is closely related to a most eminent Patrician....

Aha , nice link Edmund, may I hint that Sally Grainger is closely related to a most eminent Patrician....

My Lord: :notworthy:

Me wonders who that 'Patrician' is! Figures! Now I'll have to give consideration to buying the book! Spending money is not one of my strong points. Only consideration, mind you.

Haven't forgotten about the mushroom recipe.

Basil, Earl of etc.,

:D

THis is a nice chatty informal mp3 download-I hope members will check it out. :hammer:

Note please when listening the ubiquity of cabbage in the Roman diet vis a vis the lead thread mentioned above.

Note also the mention of the starter to this very thread-Pig's womb!

• 3 weeks later...

So you are jaded and bloated after Saturnalia?

A return to rustic fare, the food of farm workers is required:

Take two bulbs of fresh garlic and grind in a mortar with sea salt.Add olive oil steadily (around 160 ml) to this mix and continue till you have a smooth paste.Eat as a spread on coarse spelt bread.

This is of course the "old" version of aioli, nowadays eggg yolk would be included as a thickener and a little vinegar also.

OR:

Slice a loaf of Italian bread or a baguette into ~ 1/2 inch slices; toast them; rub a clove of garlic over the slice; drizzle your favorite extra virgin olive oil over it; salt and pepper to taste.

OR

Roast a head of garlic; prepare bread as above; smear roasted garlic on slices; continue as above.

-----------------------------------

Roman soldiers invented pizza. On campaign they would make a dough (don't know if it was leavened) and bake it on a hot stone. On it would have been onions, garlic, olive oil, and cheese. (The Romans hadn't invented tomatoes yet.)

Edited by Gaius Octavius