UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How Many Users Are Actually Active On This Forum

Is it me, or is it just that we seem to be getting more new users lately compared to what I've seen a year ago. I've actually know about this site, well not the forum part until I actually realized there was one and finally joined. I'm just wonder how many registered users are considered "active." I think the rate is almost about 2 new users a day.

I'm a new member myself- only stumbling upon this site recently. I joined because I was hoping to engage in some interesting discussions about a topic that I'm highly interested in. However, it's a little worrying to see that some people are joining to get help for their school essays. I don't mind helping these kids, but a lot of them just want instant answers and I'm afraid this doesn't help to 'educate' them.

Most folks register and never post. Why they do this I cannot explain but its a common occurence on forums all over the internet. I'm sure there are some who come to read the archaeological news on a regular basis and registered out of convenience (so you can keep track of which topics you've already seen and such) but I cannot explain the vast majority.

As for students who come by to ask questions...

I can easily delete any post made where an obvious student is asking for answers to tests or homework (and I have deleted some), however doing so doesn't even give someone a chance to explain themselves. If it turns out they have no intention of interacting with our community then so be it. It won't kill us to read the occassional irritating and futureless post I suppose, but at least I didn't discourage them from the potential to study ancient history.

Our growth has been fairly steady and has really picked up lately. Ignoring those relatively small bumps in the road just consider how many very active members have joined in the last two months or so. While growth brings better chances for abrasive personalities, it also brings the opportunity for deeper and livelier discussion. :)

As for students who come by to ask questions...

If it turns out they have no intention of interacting with our community then so be it. It won't kill us to read the occassional irritating and futureless post I suppose, but at least I didn't discourage them from the potential to study ancient history.

Well said. I agree that it's not a good idea to delete these messages and personally don't mind reading them. I'm more worried about the state of the education system and the fact that children are taught to acquire information and 'get a good mark' rather than actually learn and understand for themselves.

I browsed the "home" area for quite a while before getting involved in the Forum, I was delighted to find a site where people could variously ,enthuse, discuss ,joke and engage in mature argument.

The "student" situation is a bit dispiriting- only a little true interest makes one avid for information :but perhaps an unregarded enquiry might spark a true desire for knowledge.

The problem is simply laziness, being a high school myself, I know it quite well. But its a good fact to know that their questions are actually essay-intended instead of the regular, " When was Rome found."

If you want me to give you a better answer:

In America, not too many schools with the classics language program have too many great quality teachers, nor resources. For example, the libraries in many schools barely have any real sources concerning indepth Roman history and culture. Not too many schools even have more than two copies of the Aeneid or the Odysseus. The students themselves are really not dedicated because it is a language which their parents really made them take(the minor rebellion factor) , most would prefer spanish.

Luckily, my school has a program called the GCC, Global Communications Center, one of the only few in Illinois or even country:lol:. We have programs that teach the offerred languages, and the programs that teach Latin and Greek are really good, I use the Jenney's book and program. Our library also has lots of books concerning the Romans and lots of books from all the great Greek Philosophers. I even found a good book concerning the role of Women in the Greek and Roman Society. Also a book on somebody with the cognomen Plancus, can't remember full name. I also found that book which Skarr reviewed.

Im not sure people read books anymore. I exclude our worthy citizens of course from this remark but electronic media dont allow "immersion" in a topic if you have no knowledge to share and discuss.Intersting you should mention libraries ,here they are turning into the equivalent of internet cafes-a friend worked in one until recently and was dismayed at how little books were regarded. Woe! and Thrice Woe! as Frankie Howerd used to say.

Sorry that was my " outraged of Tunbridge Wells " moment :lol:

I think that it is good to see so many people registering so as to be able to post on the site, even if they only do so to have the homework done for them or start an aimless topic. As Primus Pilus said, it is good to encourage an interest in history; for if we didn't learn from the past, where would we be?

But it must be said that there are many inactive persons on the site. I suppose it could stem from a bit of intimidation; many of the people i've seen on this website have incredible amounts of knowledge that far surpass my own, and i've learnt a lot here, and people who register mainly to read the posts may not feel confident posting in this situation, in this most august company :lol:

Another reason people don't post that regularly is that they saw the same topic last year when it was first raised, the strings seem to go in cycles.

Mind you, I could read and post in a topic about Popularis Vs Optimate factions no matter how many times it came up.

Mind you, I could read and post in a topic about Popularis Vs Optimate factions no matter how many times it came up.

I think anybody could; i have yet to meet someone who believes Cato and the other Optimates were in the right in their handling of Caesar :lol:

There may be something about the intimidating factor, as people are usually shy of sharing their views, either from a fear of being 'judged' by those whom they perceive as being more scholarly or because they believe they have nothing to contribute.

I think that either of those beliefs, if the new members, do hold them, should be dissipated and perhaps, if there was a welcome forum where upon joining, the new members were encouraged to post a little about themselves and why they joined the group, it may help break the ice and make them more at ease.

I for one welcome all opinions, however terse they are. The point here is that we need voices here to speak and to share their views on various topics and I do think that if people are overly critical, we may have less people willing to share. We must encourage and draw these people out of their 'shells' and make them feel welcome here.

Even if people do post to complete an essay, I think that's a good thing and we must encourage them to ask follow up questions and participate in other ways.

We've certainly tried the Welcome Thread. We also have the relatively light hearted 'after hours' lounge which we hope will allow people to ease their way in if they are bashful. I agree with Skarr though, that some people are just intimidated or lack confidence and will resist posting for fear of embarrassment. I think as long as people make an effort to post practical or possible ideas and statements they shouldn't worry so much. I readily admit when I am weak on a particular subject and am always, but will speak my mind for the sake of conversation. As a result, one opens up new opportunities to learn.