UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Universities And Or Scholarships

Ive always loved history, but until my 9th grade year I wasnt really exposed to Rome. I took Latin to help with my vocabulary, and I had an amazing teacher. Larry Stamps old and balding, not much to look at but he was like a father too me. All it took was one telling of the history of the Punic Wars, mainly the second, and I was hooked. I live and breathe Rome now. Id like to become a teacher or historian after high school. I just cant figure out how im gonna pay for it yet =p.

Well I am approaching my senior year in high school, and Ive had some trouble finding schools witha good reputation for Latin and or ancient history * Rome in particuliar would be nice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

also if anyone is aware of any latin/history scholarships available id be interested in hearing those as well. Many thanks.

Vale

While Illinois-Chicago is a good school for ancient history, if you want the best education on ancient history the place to be in the University of Michigan. They have many ancient historians there as professors and have the only phd in Greek and Roman history in the country. Im afraid it is expensive and also hard to get into.

This conversation takes me back. What do you guys think of the program at University of Chicago (not UIC)? I applied there to get into archaeology and at UIUC to get into biochemistry. Radically different I know, but I love both. Fate decreed I get into science, since I only got on the waiting list for U of C.

Edited by Favonius Cornelius

Generally, most universities with quality history programs will have Latin and Greek offered as well. If you're looking to teach at the high school level then I'd worry as much about the schools education program as well. If you're looking to do graduate work then you've really got to pay particular importance to the school you attend and the reputation of it's programs, it'll be vital for job prospects if you've got no other special connections. History, in all eras, was a notoriously difficult area to get a good position in at the university level although it may have changed.

I recieved my BA in history from a small college in NC, excellent history program with a couple of good phds from U of Indiana. Because it wasn't in the top tier of small schools I believe that it hurt me a bit when competing to get into a (non-history) professional graduate program. I-- strangely-- got wait listed at Notre Dame and Wake Forest but accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke and a minor safety school. I chose UNC but I still kick myself for not trying to gain an MA in history along with my other degree. The point is that your undergrad school unfortunately matters in whatever methods admissions departments make to admit grad students. Not insurmountable by any means, but be aware of it when chosing.

The very best schools for history and classics are the usual suspects; Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, U of Chicago and Columbia. Other very good choices would be Virginia, Michigan, Washington, Berkley, UCLA, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Illinois, Northwestern, Cornell and Johns Hopkins. I'd also put Texas, Wisconsin, Penn and Minnesota there as well. That leaves a lot of great schools like Rutgers, Iowa, Maryland etc., still out there.

If you're only looking for a basic college level BA then also look to schools like Amherst, Davidson, Williams, Pomona, Reed and other small liberal arts colleges.

These are the best of the best, so competition is tough, but to be blunt, you'll increase your options for employability. On the other hand many of the private schools have a lot of endowment money for financial aid.

This site might come in handy for you, someone did a listing of undergrad schools that offer classics. I don't know if it's all inclusive, but it looks fairly good: Undergrad Programs in Classics.

This conversation takes me back. What do you guys think of the program at University of Chicago (not UIC)? I applied there to get into archaeology and at UIUC to get into biochemistry. Radically different I know, but I love both. Fate decreed I get into science, since I only got on the waiting list for U of C.

I think Chicago's got a great rep in a lot of areas, it's one of the top national schools in about a dozen fields from econ to law to history so I'll bet their archeology program is pretty good. It says something that you at least got waitlisted, I'm betting it's a small program with a lot of applicants.

Biochemistry? Do well and it's med school for you.

Edited by Virgil61

Thanks for your posts guys. Well I dont got a 4.0 GPA so that can be an issue and I havent taken my SAT/ACT's yet so im not sure. I live in boise and I know BSU has a decent program as thats where all my Latin teachers have graduated but im not sure. The money issue I have no clue yet. I am still pondering joining the military. and if thats the case I think I can broaden my horizon monetarily. I do appreciate your guys responses. I had no clue on what schools to look at.

Thanks for your posts guys. Well I dont got a 4.0 GPA so that can be an issue and I havent taken my SAT/ACT's yet so im not sure. I live in boise and I know BSU has a decent program as thats where all my Latin teachers have graduated but im not sure. The money issue I have no clue yet. I am still pondering joining the military. and if thats the case I think I can broaden my horizon monetarily. I do appreciate your guys responses. I had no clue on what schools to look at.

If you're in Boise you've got an excellent small college not far from you in Walla Walla called Whitman College. I'm originally from Oregon and I knew a couple of people who attended there. It has a great rep. Look at Reed and UW as well. If you can take a prep course for your SAT/ACT. If you can't, then at least get a prep guide at any bookstore and review it a month or so out from the test.

I'll add in this edit that Oregon, Carroll College in Helena and Willamette also look like they've got classics departments. Decent schools. If you're thinking of Oregon or UW see if either state offers a reciprocity agreement with Idaho for in-state tuition.

Edited by Virgil61