UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Strange And Disturbing Family Planning

sullafelix

Er the Romans had contraception, that much I know. But I recently heard that one preffered method was a barrier method where the woman employed crocodile dung to form the barrier......someone tell me it isn't true by all thats good and decent....... :lol:

apologies for the base topic by the way but where else am I gonna find this out!!

No it is absolutely correct. Goat dung and fermenting yeast for burns,scribes' excrement and fresh milk applied to boils. However titter ye not fellow Romans as the Egyptians also knew that plants from damp places cured afflictions found in those locales-the willow-source of salycillic acid and pain reliever (asprin as now is).They used purges rather a lot, but given the evidence of systemic parasite problems (helminths) this was a smart move along the Nile (They had drawn a parallel between silting of the Nile and "silting " of the gut). The Ebers papyrus 16/17 c BC is the source for the base information-thats a long time ago.Ive mentioned elsewhere onion and honey in beer as an anti inflammatory and eminently sensible combo.I am waiting for two books at present, the Pompeiian Herbal and a loaned copy of an early Islamic herbal (with commentaries) we shall see if there is anything new in the garden ( or under the sun).

Cruse-Roman Medicine- Egyptian medicine section

Oh yes-egyptian doctors were known for being a bit rough with patients,bedside manner was a bit abrupt.

Edited by Pertinax

Cheers Pertinax

I think I would have been a woman of many children is all I can say to that. I also herad about a half lemon filled with honey....this too has its drawbacks but nothing quite so grim!

Anyone else got any wierd and wonderful Roman medical facts..this could run and run...sorry bad choice of phrase....

:lol:

Edited by sullafelix

My review of Cruse's book will probably be posted in the next week on the main "home " part of the site, its still visible in its two part infancy in the Colesseum area.Have a look at that to "get your eye in" .My "Useful Herbs" album in the gallery is only just starting out but gives an ancient to modern link for materia medica, which is startlingly direct. I have to watch HBO Rome now !

Id like to bring this thread up to date-the "dung" theme might have been appropriate in earlier times but the abortifactant of choice in Imperial Rome was Atemisia absinthum (wormwood) as a suppository being both abortifactant and spermicidal.This is in everyday use in Britain as a stomachic and purgative and is a highly effective anthelmintic (worm killer-hence the name).Wormwood became the basis for Absinthe and the reason for that drink being so melancholic in action was because thujone was present in concentrated quantities,nowadays a thujone free extract can be made so its ok to drink Absinthe again(Pantagathus please note).It is excellent for digestion but the dose is very small.

There are several biblical references to this plant.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/absinthe_faq.shtml gives the low down

Edited by Pertinax