UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Cosmetics

sullafelix

Roman women painted their faces with white lead...probably meaning they were all barking mad by the age of thirty.

Lead has been used in a variety of common items up to the modern times. It is a massive misconception that only the Romans did it and were somehow corrupted by it.

The Romans were well aware of the symptomatic problems of lead poisoning, particularly anemia and sought cures accordingly (the Roman Baths at Bath being the most celebrated -and effective having water with a high iron content and a massive mixed multiple trace mineral content ).Though intestinal parasites (also purged by sulphurous waters) would have had a much more direct and deadly effect . Votive offerings showing incontivertible evidence of anemic disfiguration have been found at shrine sites . The deadly pallor of slaves working in lead mines was noted and Vitruvius made specific comment on delivering water via earthenware pipes as opposed to lead "as lead seems to be injurous to the body", but it was cheap and malleable. Many forget that wine was often manufactured,stored and served in lead vessels and many foods were considered enhanced by the touch of lead.

So 1. lead was present in the diet and cosmetics to a greater degree than might be thought

2. as usual the practical Romans observed effects even if unsure of cause, but deemed lead guilty by association.

3. they continued to use it regardless and had recourse to reasonably effective curative treatments.

so -how much water did rich and poor drink? in comparison to say beer and wine. Medieval England was noted for "small beer" because everyone knew the water was lousy! Against this how deadly was lead in competition with helminth infestation? Remember the US military carried out post mortems on casualties in Vietnam, whilst many of even the youngest of American combat casualties showed a possibility of suggested cardiac problems in later life the vietcong casualties had 100% helminth infection-100% ! so digestive process would be affected and eventually mental health and cardio health.

and lead was used happily till the 1950s in water supply here-everyone says how nicer the water tastes from lead pipes, its "soft", many older houses in the industrial ares still have lead pipes and the water supply is from North Wales where water drains from lead filled strata.

Just some thoughts!

Edited by Pertinax

So 1. lead was present in the diet and cosmetics to a greater degree than might be thought

2. as usual the practical Romans observed effects even if unsure of cause, but deemed lead guilty by association.

3. they continued to use it regardless and had recourse to reasonably effective curative treatments.

Roman lead pipes used to transport water developed a thick layer of calcification on the inside of the pipes in a matter of weeks, protecting the water from contacting the lead.

More on the topic - I think Roman men, or at least some, would have definately indulged in makeup. Actors and people referred to by the likes of Cicero as "Degenerates" particularly.

Roman lead pipes used to transport water developed a thick layer of calcification on the inside of the pipes in a matter of weeks, protecting the water from contacting the lead.

More on the topic - I think Roman men, or at least some, would have definately indulged in makeup. Actors and people referred to by the likes of Cicero as "Degenerates" particularly.

Calcification would have occured in areas with a high mineral content (water from limestone) but not in soft water areas -hence the problems in Brittania. I have no fixed opinion on the lead "debate" I just find it fascinating.

and this really is a diverging thread now, is it not? ;)

Edited by Pertinax

and this really is a diverging thread now, is it not?

I suppose there is only so much to say about men wearing makeup. ;)

or drains :)

hmm I dont think my Ernest Borgnine "Ragnor" avatar is too good. No back to the Secutor

Edited by Pertinax