UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Virgil61

Roman History Of My Family's Hometown

I hope this is the correct forum for this, you're all the perfect group to share this with.

My brother and I are planning on visiting relatives in Italy next summer. Both of my parent

Edited by Virgil61

Have fun! I figure that some day in between jobs I might take a whole month to tour from Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia and all Italy. Just too much history to make a week out of.

I am currently reading up on Roman colonies at this time as part of my research I will see what else I can find out for you if you like.

I am currently reading up on Roman colonies at this time as part of my research I will see what else I can find out for you if you like.

If you find anything please let me know. There seems to be rather limited info on it because it was such an early colony and so close to Rome in the first place. I did find out it was rebuilt a little ways away from the original site in the Middle Ages.

It seems to have been a minor colony who's purpose was to protect Roman interests on the Adriatic--hence Castrum-- but it's importance seems to have waned once the majority of the central Adriatic coast and surrounding Italian tribes were absorbed into the Republic.

If you find anything please let me know. There seems to be rather limited info on it because it was such an early colony and so close to Rome in the first place. I did find out it was rebuilt a little ways away from the original site in the Middle Ages.

It seems to have been a minor colony who's purpose was to protect Roman interests on the Adriatic--hence Castrum-- but it's importance seems to have waned once the majority of the central Adriatic coast and surrounding Italian tribes were absorbed into the Republic.

I haven't yet found a lot on the history but I have found a site about the archaeology, which is http://www.comune.santamarinella.rm.it/mus...ese/a3126.html#

As to the votes thing. The Social War was a war of independence fought after the Italian tribes had given up hope of ever getting the roman citizenship given to them. However, although they lost the war they did get the vote, funny how things turn out!

I shall find out the ins and outs of that for you too. I'll be back when I have more

I haven't yet found a lot on the history but I have found a site about the archaeology, which is http://www.comune.santamarinella.rm.it/mus...ese/a3126.html#

As to the votes thing. The Social War was a war of independence fought after the Italian tribes had given up hope of ever getting the roman citizenship given to them. However, although they lost the war they did get the vote, funny how things turn out!

I shall find out the ins and outs of that for you too. I'll be back when I have more

Thanks for the effort sullafelix but I don't think this is the one. I'd found this myself and discounted it because the Via Aurelia, which it's on, runs up the Tyrrhenian Sea coast to Gaul while Castrum Novum (now Giulianova) is on the Adriatic coast on the other side of the Appenine mountains from Rome.

Part of the problem might be that Castrum Novum/Novum Castrum (New Fortress) is such a generic name it might have been used more than once.

Thanks for the effort sullafelix but I don't think this is the one. I'd found this myself and discounted it because the Via Aurelia, which it's on, runs up the Tyrrhenian Sea coast to Gaul while Castrum Novum (now Giulianova) is on the Adriatic coast on the other side of the Appenine mountains from Rome.

Part of the problem might be that Castrum Novum/Novum Castrum (New Fortress) is such a generic name it might have been used more than once.

You are right...I realised my mistake yesterday, apologies. This is a Castrum Novum in Etruria and there were two overall. The one in Etruria is much better known and I have not been able to find much on yours I am afraid, just stuff that backs up what you already know. I will however be able to find out more about its role in the Social War for you.

I too come from a Roman town - in my case, Lindum Colonia, now Lincoln in the UK.

My childhood home was situated right above the principia of the Roman legionary fortress - for a time garrisoned by the famous IXth Hispana - and later the forum and basilica of the Colonia.

In a cellar between our house and the next were columns and part of the pavement from the forum colonnade, eight feet or so below modern ground level. 150 yards away at the end of the street, was a Roman arch - the well-known Newport Arch still straddling a major thoroughfare almost 2,000 years after it was built. It was the north gate of the city.

As a schoolboy, in my teens, I helped excavate the east gate of the Roman city, close to the medieval cathedral, and part of the northern wall, where the foundations of a water-tank which served the baths was found.

Lincoln is rich in Roman antiquities - an intact sewer runs below the street I have spoken of above. When part of the forum was excavated in the 80s they found a very early Christian church - its successor was only demolished in the 60s.

The Roman connections continue to run - my "house" at school was Lindum. the word is pre-Roman in origin, coming from a celtic word meaning pool.

A colonia, by the way, was a settlement for veterans, aimed to help educate the natives in the benefits and richness of Roman life. there were four in Britannia - Colchester, Gloucester, Lincoln and York. Lincoln was later the capital of the province of Flavia Caesariensis - part of a sub-divided Britannia.

I think it was, perhaps, being brought up in such close juxtaposition to Roman remains that has made me so intrigued by their civilization and history ever since.

Phil

I too come from a Roman town - in my case, Lindum Colonia, now Lincoln in the UK.

My childhood home was situated right above the principia of the Roman legionary fortress - for a time garrisoned by the famous IXth Hispana - and later the forum and basilica of the Colonia.

In a cellar between our house and the next were columns and part of the pavement from the forum colonnade, eight feet or so below modern ground level. 150 yards away at the end of the street, was a Roman arch - the well-known Newport Arch still straddling a major thoroughfare almost 2,000 years after it was built. It was the north gate of the city.

Excellent story, just the kind of commentary I was hoping to elicit. Thanks for sharing.