UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

To Wardeffth Off Eville In Oldde Englandde

Pertinax

I was amused to see how the history of Hypericum herb seems to reflect on the cultures that employed it

(gallery-roman herbal) . The Romans went for no-nonsense kidney problem usage,the "Modern" world uses it mostly as an anti-depressant but in Medieval times it was the bane of Witches( St John preaching in the Wilderness whereof Satan dwelt).

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/st_johns_eve...icum.html -gives some simple info.

I particularly enjoyed its usage in the prognostication of marriage.

Dioscorides suggests use for sciatica and kidney problems, Mithridates used it in his daily quest to avoid poisoning,though we do not know the full recipe he employed.

I also noted that the Ulmus Fulva I used the other day (a mucilage and wound dressing) is burnt by witches to "prevent gossiping" :fish: Terrible waste of a good salve.

Edited by Moonlapse

Do not be feint hearted, this means the determination of a suitable marriage partner by a virtuous maiden-by signs , omens, portents or chance .In contemporary society speed dating would be the method .Or possibly an internet chatroom. The modern methods whilst more direct lack mystique.

Edited by Pertinax