UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pre-columbian Contact With America

Pantagathus

Pre-Columbian Contact with America  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Did Old World Travelers Visit America Before Columbus?

• Yes
    • No

LEG X,

I personally do not accept the Irish Monk theory but they did travel to Iceland in curraghs so I still would not underestimate the possibility.

For that matter, your reservations in general are quite common. However, have you ever heard of Dr. Thor Heyerdahl? He set out to prove that crossing both the Atlantic & Pacific using primitive technology was more than feasable and did it... Kon Tiki was just a balsa wood raft and he & his small crew lived off the 'fruit of the ocean'

As for the 'recording it', I ask why is that a must? Why impose modern standards? The Carthaginians especially were very closed lipped about their 'trade secrets'... However, if you accept Dr. Barry Fell's work they did record it... just over here. :(

Anyway, in regards to the Veneti ships, I believe there was a post here awhile ago titled "Celtic Fleet" that I quoted much of that passage of De Bello Gallico

Ok, i am now informed about Veneti warships, but if they were really better than Nordic ships, is another question. Since Caesar had no nordic ship to Compare it.

As i said, the phoenicians is the most likely option. Because they could have recorded it and it could have been destroyed in carthage(for example). As for the Rest, i doubt. We know that Ancients were very superticious, and shiping around for two months, with nothing but sparkling water around them, could propably led to anger towards the men in charge, and a mutiniy could have escalated. I just cant picture ancients crossing the atlantic from southern or central europe.

Ok, i am now informed about Veneti warships, but if they were really better than Nordic ships, is another question. Since Caesar had no nordic ship to Compare it.

As i said, the phoenicians is the most likely option. Because they could have recorded it and it could have been destroyed in carthage(for example). As for the Rest, i doubt. We know that Ancients were very superticious, and shiping around for two months, with nothing but sparkling water around them, could propably led to anger towards the men in charge, and a mutiniy could have escalated. I just cant picture ancients crossing the atlantic from southern or central europe.

Well,

I have done my best to give you information enough to formulate your own informed decision; of which I believe you have firmly established.

:rolleyes: