UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Migration Of Cimbri And Tuetones

Germanicus

I have heard in the past (can't recall where) that the homelands of the Cimbri and Tuetones in modern day Norway ? Were flooded by the ocean, causing their mass migration that ended with their slaughter at the hands of Marius and Co. Has anyone else heard this theory ? Does anyone have any resources that they can point me to on this ?

Thanks

Indeed, the Cimbri occupied the area of modern Denmark (called Chersonesus Cimbrica) and receding land seems to have been a major cause for their migration.

Strabo book VII Chapter II courtesy of Lacus Curtius

As for the Cimbri, some things that are told about them are incorrect and others are extremely improbable. For instance, one could not accept such a reason for their having become a wandering and piratical folk as this

• 2 weeks later...
I always wondered where the Teutons and Cimbri came from and why they moved. Well now I know, thanks Primus :P

Except that it appears from the ancient sources that their homeland was the 'Chersonesus Cimbrica' or in modern terms the peninsula of Jutland - Denmark. This is definitely from where they sued for pardon during Augustus' reign.

Furthermore, from what I've read it seems that though very far north, they had more Celtic cultural affinities than Germanic. Also, the reason for their movements south before their defeat by Marius may have mirrored the motivations of their geographic succesors of a much later period. In other words, they were roving pirates (per se) in an effort to stay 'productive' during the agriculturally unproductive seasons...

Though during that time frame it also could have been due to pressure from migrations of people from the east. As is evident in P-P's quote from Strabo the idea that they were flooded out of their homes was not and is not commonly accepted.

Edited by Pantagathus

Just a little postscript, I just read a very interesting anecdote by Plutarch that after Marius defeated the Cimbri & Teutones near Aquae Sextiae (Aix), the people from Massalia:

"Made fences for their vinyards with the bones of the barbarians; and the soil, which was drenched with the blood of thousads produced an unusual crop the following year" :ph34r:

Edited by Pantagathus

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that although Gaius Marius inflicted that utterly crushing defeat on them, around 6000 of them survived, and settled with a tribe called the Atuatuci, around where modern day Belgium is. Kind of unfortunate-they ended up very close to where they began, but minus their numbers.