UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Huns

Guest thebigcurve

Guest thebigcurve

Curious to see what people have to say about the Huns, particularly in regard to their influence on the Roman Empire(s).

Have been reading some books on Attila such as The Night Attila Died by Babcock(2005).

His thesis is that Attila did not die of natural causes but was rather murdered, most likely at the instigation of Marcian. I found this very interesting and am wondering what others think.

The Huns have interested me considerably for a long time, mainly because it is amazing how a tribe of horseback warriors could utterly bring an (at the time) unsteady footed by nevertheless powerful empire to it's knees.

I've haboured an increasing admiration for the Roman General Flavius Aetius. As most will know, he was at one stage a hostage of Rugila, King of the Huns, and it is said that he gained military inspiration and vigour, that was certainly lacking in the Roman Empire at the time, from the Huns.

Aetius used the Huns to consolidate his own power throughout the Empire, and when Attila the Hun did invade Europe, Aetius and Theodoric the Goth moved to attack him, which of course resulted in the famous Battle of Chalons on the Catalunian Plains. It was, i believe, Attila's worst defeat, although tactically it was an indecisive battle.

The Huns were interesting. Even after causing so much damage and causing other tribes to revolt from the Empire, they continued to seek battle and cause destruction. Of course, it all lead to the deposition of Romulus Augustus and the passing of the West into Odovacer's hands. I'd have to say that the Huns could claim to be the largest influence on Europe at the time.

The Most interesting part about Attila, is that, he grew up in Ravenna-Italy. Was welll educated and spoke Latin and Greek fluent. His best Friend was Aetius. These 2, were the Union that destroyed the german Burgundy kingdom. He was also married to a Roman at one point. Attila, is mentioned in many different European sources. In the German Nibelungenlied, he is King Etzel.

Edited by LEG X EQ

People are always amazed by the Huns and the impact they've had on the decline of the Roman Empire in the West. I think the Huns were successful because of their fierceness in battle and the skill of their horsemen as they could shoot arrows on the fly and ride with speed, cutting down their opposition before they could deploy defensive formations.

Attila is often demonized and painted as an uncultured uncouth barbarian but the facts seem to indicate that he was quite cultured and possibly even well read. He did receive some sort of education according to some sources and did spend time in Rome, where he admired the various monuments and the fine objects / artifacts he saw. He was particularly impressed by the baths and sought to rebuild / recreate some of the luxuries that most Romans were accustomed to and surrounded himself with fine objects.

However, the Huns were restless and did not create permanent settlements as it was alien to their way of thinking and their way of life, living on the open steppes where tall grasses would stretch from end to end, from horizon to horizon, as it were. They did not see much value in settling in one place and building a city and creating monuments etc. I guess their mind set was similar to that of the nomadic peoples who still live on today in the vast Saharan desert. Most of them live day to day and the concept of creating something for future generations to enjoy was something they didn't think about.

I believe it was either the huns or the goths, (not sure which) that wanted to adopt the Roman's laws and administration systems, and continue running the empire as best as possible. Many peoples outside the empire looked at Rome's great institutions, it's buildings, technology and grandeur and wanted to be part of it. When they asked for this, usually it was either denied or rewarded for military service or allegiance. Of course, peoples would tire of this and eventually just attack the empire and take the grandeur by force. This was happening before the huns arrived-imagine what it must have been like when they did arrive ;)