UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Capital Punishment

Recently here in the US, we've just executed the co-found of the notorious L.A. Crips gang yesterday. Some have supported his execution while others say his execution was unjust, that he was innocent or should be given life sentence instead. Sadly, the guy was not innocent at all and he could have saved his own life if he would admit to the murders, which he did not and will not do. Afterwards, Arnold Swarchenneger(mispell) got blasted by the EU for allow the execution.

Since our forum is multicultural, what are your views on capital punishment. I hope this does not affect how others view me, but I support capital punishment, there are just some people that deserve to die.

So what is your view?

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank heavens, I was hoping we'd kill him, what a sicko, you should've heard some of the things the witnesses quoted from him and records of taped phone conversations. How could you not kill a guy who killed a family and started one of the worst gangs in the U.S.?

I'm largely selective my my favoritism on Capital Punishment. Capital Punishment should be used for people found guilty of intentional mansluaghter, murder, and all charges rating higher above. I also am teatering on my opinion of wether of rape should be punishible by death, but its only a slight part of me that beleives so, having known people who where raped, or almost raped. It scares people for life, affects their social life, and just about everything.

Largely it depends on the case and I'd have to see the actual trial, acusations, and evidence to decide wether I actualy beleive capital punishment is acceptable so it is hard to write a general opinion.

I am largely indifferent towards capital punishment. I don't think it provides the desired effect of acting like a deterrent because it is so watered down by the length of legal proceedings, but the execution of humans (as punishment for heinous acts) doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Agreed P.P., it really doesn't have the effect it used to. It only serves to satisfy the prosecution witht he knowledge of justice served. The masses (do to humanitarians) have no idea of what happens to those people other than that they were executed and so that doesn't provide a deterent to the other people who will commit more acts to be executed.

In a sense, capital punishment as a major effect brings comfort to the victims' families and relatives or those who are affected in anyway. For example, if we caught Osama bin Laden or Al-Zarquawi, what American(not everyone, butl just the majority of us) in their right mind would see those terrorists live. Undoubtedly, many of us would want them dead in any way. Vengeance and vendettas brings satisfcation for the wrongs.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

I'm generally opposed to the use of capital punishment but could live with using it for multiple murders, child murder or cop killings. It should be used sparingly when used at all.

I worked for a district attorney in NC at one time. Some murders are one-time affairs, a husband married for twenty years finds his wife cheating and shoots him or her lover, a drunken argument between friends or brothers leads to a shot, a wife snaps after being slapped for the umpteenth time, etc. In these affairs the murder is unplanned the murderer has never done anything illegal in his/her lifetime. I was surprised to see that among these one-time cases the murderer is traumatized by their own act, that split second heat of the moment action. These people deserve punishment but they don't deserve to die and are rarely put on death row except in higly publicized cases or with aggressive DA's trying to prove a point.

Career criminals, those with a felony background, should be given life without parole. As I wrote above, multiple murderers, child killers and cop killers I would grudgingly consider the ultimate penalty for.

the murderer is traumatized by their own act, that split second heat of the moment action.

Perhaps, though I hate to combined ethics and morales and the law unless absolutely nessacary, the living with the tourture of knowning they killed a person they loved would be more punishment then simply being killed?

Capital Punishment.......in societies that claim to be "Christian" seems odd to say the least (Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that). But on the other hand there are things that I think do deserve to be punished by death. Paedophiles if convicted for example. I guess I could support a death penalty were re-integration and re habilitaion are impossible.

I don't think Jail as an alternative to capital punishment is good either. It just trains better criminals and keeps those in there under control (largely through state condoned drug dealing and violence).

I do not however agree with capital punishment for drug offences. Such as the recent execution of an Australian in Singapore. He was transporting Heroin from Vietnam to Australia, the plane just stopped over in Singapore and he was nabbed. Rationale for the execution has been "He could have killed/destroyed thousands of Australian lives with the drugs he was importing". A stupid arguement if ever I heard one, especially considering the state endorsed drugs, Alchohol and Nicotine account for 80% of all drug deaths in Australia.

Drug laws need a major rethink, as does the prison system. But then considering the number of people in Jail for drug offences, or drug related theft, just changing the drug laws would cut masses of expenditure in the Prison system.

As done by the romans, I would much rather die than go to prison, to sit for days in a cell would be to me but hanging in the state between life and death for how ever long my sentance was. I'd rather die.

Capital punishment is one thing that generally divides Europeans from us here in the US. When I met my Italian cousin for the first time he said that he couldn't understand why the state of Texas had executed 130 some people in a year. I couldn't explain it either. I hadn't thought much about it but his incredulity made me look at the issue in a different light. How many of those executed have been innocent?

Perhaps, though I hate to combined ethics and morales and the law unless absolutely nessacary, the living with the tourture of knowning they killed a person they loved would be more punishment then simply being killed?

I've seen them and they were certainly tramautized. Remember I'm talking about law-abiding citizens who'd never broken the law before and more importantly, acted without prior planning. Generally NC and other state laws have followed the English common law on this one, which acknowledges the difference between planned and heat-of-the-moment murders. That's one reason there is 2nd degree and manslaughter laws are on the books to differentiate between types of killings, there's no one size fits all.

Rarely do these people do a life sentence for these types of crimes and there's a belief even in the Criminal Justice system that they'll never commit another crime again. In many cases they're eventually put in a minimum security prison. I'm sure you're on the right track when you say that the emotional torture a normal person would suffer from is serious punishment in itself versus the indifference of a career criminal in the same situation.

So what is your view?

Countries with the most executions in 2004

China 3,400+

Iran 159+

Vietnam 64+

United States 59

Saudi Arabia 33+

Somehow the USA does not seem to fit into this "club"

Personally, I find it an arachaic law and i am extremely glad that i never have to make those kind of decisions like Arnold just had to do..(or any other governour)...

regards

viggen

Countries with the most executions in 2004

China 3,400+

Iran 159+

Vietnam 64+

United States 59

Saudi Arabia 33+

Somehow the USA does not seem to fit into this "club"

Personally, I find it an arachaic law and i am extremely glad that i never have to make those kind of decisions like Arnold just had to do..(or any other governour)...

regards

viggen

So how do Austrians view their man in California on this? Or in general for that matter. How would they view his election to president assuming the law (an ammendment) is changed here?

He's much more conservative than I thought he'd be, I'd expected a more moderate approach from him.

So how do Austrians view their man in California on this? Or in general for that matter. How would they view his election to president assuming the law (an ammendment) is changed here?

He's much more conservative than I thought he'd be, I'd expected a more moderate approach from him.

well in general austria is proud of him, (we name soccer stadiums after him, he is honorable citizen etc..) however on that specific matter the majority is very dissapointed, as capital punishment is not popular at all here, to say the least...

If he should become president it would be interesting, i guess it would do lots of good for austrian business and the general relationship between austria and the usa...

all in all most austrians are ill informed what anrold does or does not in his political career and as a governour, (well why should they care anyway), and it is just on big occassions like that, that the public talks about him...

regards

viggen

After following the Van Nguyen Case, i am inclined to agree with you Germanicus, as far as drugs trafficking is concerned. However, i would have to say that for serial murder or serious terrorism (i.e. September 11 calibre, if any terrorists were left alive that is), i would support the death penalty. As far as rape is concerned, well, how well would castration work? ;) (Joking)

Just out of interest; A fellow told me that in the state of New York, the punishment for attempted suicide used to be death-- was this true? If so, that's a bit of a weird way of carrying on is it not?

Edited by Tobias