UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Kazakhs Pull The Plug On Borat's Web Site

Moonlapse

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051213/en_nm/...khstan_borat_dc

The authorities in Kazakhstan, angered by a British comedian's satirical portrayal of a boorish, sexist and racist Kazakh television reporter, have pulled the plug on his alter ego's Web site.

Sacha Baron Cohen plays Borat in his "Da Ali G Show" and last month he used the character's Web site www.borat.kz to respond sarcastically to legal threats from the Central Asian state's Foreign Ministry...

You know, the best thing I've ever heard about Borat is that the suit he wears hasn't been washed in an extremely long time and it emanates a powerfully disgusting odor.

I enjoy anything so painfully and viciously un-pc. "Your whiskers are very beautiful no?"

Edited by Pertinax

What Western liberals find offensive is quite weird -my Kendo teacher ( from Kawaguchi in Japan, a person of the most austere habit and moral rectitude ) thought the funniest thing he and his family had ever seen was the utterly non-pc comedian Benny Hill performing as Mr Yuu Ficky ( you thicky if not obvious) a sort of Chinese Les Patterson (sorry Sir Les!) with similar teeth and a very bad way with Ingwish Ranguige.He returned to Japan with an armful of video tapes.

What Western liberals find offensive is quite weird -my Kendo teacher ( from Kawaguchi in Japan, a person of the most austere habit and moral rectitude ) thought the funniest thing he and his family had ever seen was the utterly non-pc comedian Benny Hill performing as Mr Yuu Ficky ( you thicky if not obvious) a sort of Chinese Les Patterson (sorry Sir Les!) with similar teeth and a very bad way with Ingwish Ranguige.He returned to Japan with an armful of video tapes.

Good old Benny Hill. I had a hard time understanding his heavy accent (or so it seemed to me as a young lad from across the pond) alot of the time but who couldn't resist Benny's sly grins, a few well placed scantily clad women, and the occassional well intentioned slapping of an old man's bald head.

Political correctness is truly the downfall of western culture.

Good old Benny Hill. I had a hard time understanding his heavy accent (or so it seemed to me as a young lad from across the pond) alot of the time but who couldn't resist Benny's sly grins, a few well placed scantily clad women, and the occassional well intentioned slapping of an old man's bald head.

Political correctness is truly the downfall of western culture.

I don't understand why Kazakhstan is so mad. Sacha has given their country international notoriety. Many people didn't even know Kazakhstan existed until his show. No sense of humor. Unbelievable.

I don't understand why Kazakhstan is so mad. Sacha has given their country international notoriety. Many people didn't even know Kazakhstan existed until his show. No sense of humor. Unbelievable.

There is one group knows exactly where Kazakstan is, oil companies. I used to co-ordinate visits from various science, medical and industry delegations from the former SU. Visits to Texas by Kazak government and private officials in the oil business are very common. A few big NY and DC law firms even have offices in Almaty of all places. Of all the 'Stans' they're the most progressive and rich.

As funny as he is Borat looks nothing like a Kazak, they're of Mongolian stock with a large minority of ethnic Russians. As for humor, I'm a bit surprised. It's sort of a benevolent dictatorship moving towards democracy for the most part, with a huge amount of nepotism. The Kazaks I've met with have a great sense of humor, are cheerful drunks and incredibly gracious and nice especially when compared to the Russians.

There is one group knows exactly where Kazakstan is, oil companies. I used to co-ordinate visits from various science, medical and industry delegations from the former SU. Visits to Texas by Kazak government and private officials in the oil business are very common. A few big NY and DC law firms even have offices in Almaty of all places. Of all the 'Stans' they're the most progressive and rich.

As funny as he is Borat looks nothing like a Kazak, they're of Mongolian stock with a large minority of ethnic Russians. As for humor, I'm a bit surprised. It's sort of a benevolent dictatorship moving towards democracy for the most part, with a huge amount of nepotism. The Kazaks I've met with have a great sense of humor, are cheerful drunks and incredibly gracious and nice especially when compared to the Russians.

I don't doubt the average everyday Kazakh is just as human as us, but obviously somebody in their government isn't laughing. I think they need to sit back and watch his whole show though. He makes fun of everybody. He doesn't discriminate. He makes fun of government hacks, priests, atheists, scientists, gays, computer geeks. Everybody.

If you watch his Borat Segment and actually think about it, you'll see he's really not making fun of Kazakhstan. Borat is just the character he uses to gain access to certain people and events to make fun of them. The fact that he's a Kazakhstani Reporter really has no bearing on the comical aspect of his Borat Segments. He could call himself Sanyika the Swahili reporter and the results would be the same.

His main target is always western manners,mores and class systems