UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

G-string Clad Gladiator Found

Viggen

Divers exploring a river near a former Roman Empire fort and settlement in Britain have found a piece of pottery that depicts the backside of a rather buff gladiator wielding a whip and wearing nothing but a G-string, according to British researchers.

full article at Discovery

im prepared to forgo sex appeal for full segmental armour and a shield

Incidentally, the modern Greek for a thong is kouradokoft

May I add ,if wearing a long garment of quality weave ( the robust Kilt, the elegant Hakama) a Gentleman often feels quite sufficiently warm in his nether regions to forgoe undies -they are most "constrictive", as a Toga is an even heftier item than a pair of Hakama ,I suggest comfort is also a factor!

Try a kilt, I urge you, cast aside your doubts-comfortable,capacious and snug.

(I'm replying to myself here) I first noted the words, I might add, when researching for a paper that I wrote a few years ago on the dress of entertainers and prostitutes. I noted that, whenever there happens to be evidence on the subject, the evidence is that entertainers didn't appear nude on a public stage (with the sole exception, once a year, of the Roman festival Floralia). For example, in Procopius's /Secret History/ (ch. 9), we read about all the exciting things that Theodora did before she married Justinian, and about the one thing she didn't quite do, which was to strip naked on stage.

Andrew,

What about during the Cordax one might encounter in Gades? Or if one where around the Empire to witness the d

Edited by Pantagathus