UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

This Is Bad

About one in 20 adults in the U.S. is not literate in English, meaning 11 million people lack the skills to handle many everyday tasks, a federal study shows. From 1992 to 2003, adults made no progress in their ability to read sentences and paragraphs or understand other printed material such as bus schedules or prescription labels.

That's really scary info.

Edited by Viggen

Thats worse than bad, at least the Bush administration is finaly doing something right and they are putting up stronger imigration laws and having more border defenses along the mexican boarder as well as stronger coast guard to stop cubans from entering the country. Personaly I'd been wanting them to put up stronger imigration laws for quite a while now. I've got nothing agianst people comming from other countries if they don't take up money and help the economy, but we've got to draw the line some where. Forigners are starting to eat up American business. As long as they don't get into politics too much, the last thing.

But I think the problem with the illiteracy rate is that so many forigeners can't speak proper english, I live in a town thats a university town, so we've got all different races, cultures, and languages spoken throughout the town, but I think we've got to draw the line. We've got to stop posting all our signs in different languages now, maybe that will force peopel to learn english, though it would be a bad move when refering to the immediate circumstances.

true enough, I suppose I'm a little neglectent when it comes to schoo quality. I come from a very good school system (chapel hill-carrboro) in terms of public schools anyways. I do see your point in more urban cities certainly have a lower quality educational system. I think it depends most on the language spoken at home. If a child, combined with not being forced to use English, grows up in ahome where they speak, lets say spanish, all the time at home and never are forced to elarn English, they won't.

All and all, very true Ursus