UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Earliest Evidence For Large Scale Organized Warfare In The Mesopotamia

Viggen

A huge battle destroyed one of the world's earliest cities at around 3500 B.C. and left behind, preserved in their places, artifacts from daily life in an urban settlement in upper Mesopotamia, according to a joint announcement from the University of Chicago and the Department of Antiquities in Syria.

full article at Eurekalert.org

my time scales are hazy-how does this relate to Meskalamdug of Lagash and Eannatum?Am I in the correct frame?

Hmmmm, I thought that Jerico held the honor for earliest evidences of devastation due to armed conflict in some of it's very earliest levels (~9th-~8th Millennia BC)

Regardless, I feel it's safe to say that as long as man has been building & owning things, other men have come along to either take it or destroy it in the process.

I'm pretty sure we'll find evidence of earlier conflicts, even if its done by sticks and stones. :D Seriously though.

Off the top of my head, there are cave & rock face paintings in eastern Spain & Sicily that date to the Early Holocene (end of the Ice Age) that depict 'squads' of men armed with bows and spears ceremoniously 'dispatching' smaller groups of individuals...

If seen pictures of them and its pretty hard to interpret the scenes any other way than armed conflict.

Also dating from about the same time is a mass burial found near the Black Sea (Georgia? Ukraine? I can't remember exactly) where all the bodies intered there apparently died violent deaths at the hands of other humans. I.e. there are projectile & spear points inbedded in bones and signs of lacerations on other bones.