UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Teaching The Classics? Here's A Large Website Of Resources

Ludovicus

Salvete,

Perhaps many of you teaching the classics are familiar with this website. It's Virtual Roma or vroma. Enjoy all the resources, literary and artistic:

http://www.vroma.org/

I can't really see much use in it. I believe in the old fashion read the sources by actual text, interpret it, and the teacher will tell you the correct information. I don't believe in online teaching unless it was for find information and reputable sources.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

I can't really see much use in it. I believe in the old fashion read the sources by actual text, interpret it, and the teacher will tell you the correct information. I don't believe in online teaching unless it was for find information and reputable sources.

While a student should always listen and respect the teacher as a matter of course, there are many out there who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Just like in any professional field, there are good and there are bad. I tell my own children to listen and learn but to always question and seek out more information than a single teacher can provide.

Online learning and study is quickly becoming an educational standard (especially among adults who 'attend school' while working) and in my opinion it should be embraced, encouraged and expanded.

While a student should always listen and respect the teacher as a matter of course, there are many out there who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Just like in any professional field, there are good and there are bad. I tell my own children to listen and learn but to always question and seek out more information than a single teacher can provide.

Online learning and study is quickly becoming an educational standard (especially among adults who 'attend school' while working) and in my opinion it should be embraced, encouraged and expanded.

I really want to echo P-P here. If anyone plans on working towards post graduate work in an academic field, the goal once you get to thesis should not be to show that you stayed awake during those years and read what you were supposed to read. The goal should be to present a unique approach to a given topic; to show that you have uncovered elements of a subject that have either been overlooked, misrepresented or misunderstood in the past by other scholars.

If one is satisfied with riding the coat tails of other's research and opions, you're likely to be the one wondering why it's so hard to find a staff position or get published... :D

Edited by Pantagathus