UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Name This Baby Thread...

Spurius

Ave!

Let me announce my future daughter to you all. She is due in May and I'm here to officially ask for your help.

While my dear wife has many names to bounce off of me, I am drawing what could best be described as a blank. You, my friends, will help me...I hope.

Could you please rattle a few favorite Roman names off my head? Keeping with the nature of this site, you can suggest non-Roman or provincial names but first suggest at least one related to Rome.

I will let you know if we use one of your suggestions, and I will even gift a book or other item in gratitude to the person who first suggests a name we choose.

(Oh, and Livia is right out...sorry!)

Its weird but:

Lucia , the equivalent of Lucy

also is one of the forms of the latin verb luceo( actually abstact noun of the verb) which means to shine; be clear. Not too sure about this word though.

Serena is the a feminine adj that means clear fair bright SERENE(get the idea)

Helena(an actual Roman form), not Helen(greek form)

Maria seems english but its also latin Maria,mariae feminine

:)

Non roman- AnnMary Seriously

Well its weird suggesstions but...well its weird.

Oh by the way, I hope this site is helpful Female Latin Names

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Cassia-a cinimon type plant (also in hebrew Kessiah)

Verna-I just love this name, though it's not a very pretty name

Aegea (I don't know if I spelled that right)

Helen (I think that's Greek actually)

could always go with some exotic like Mandarin, or Sahara (great if she has gold or red hair), then there's crystal (not so exotic)

Then there's the old hard to spell type: Tatjana is one of my favs (pronounced Taht-ya-na)

Uh...I doubt that Clodia should be used. The name brings itself a bad reputation. :) Just imagine when she's studying Roman history and someone brings up, " Who's Clodia." Then someone answers, a promiscuous women who...

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

There's Portia to. I love that name, although if it is spoken and not seen written someone is bound to ask "you were named after a car??" :)

Lyra. I don't know where it's from, what language, etc. I suspect Greek. I love it though (i'm thinking of more of these the more I think of it)

Edited by Lost_Warrior

Julia, Valeria, Natalia, Victoria, Vera

I'm not sure about America, but these Latin names very popular in Russia. :)

Yes, add Olga, Svetlana, Nadya, Anastasia, Tanya and Ludmilla and you have 99% of the names of every woman I ever met while living in St. Pete's.

Ave!

Let me announce my future daughter to you all. She is due in May and I'm here to officially ask for your help.

(Oh, and Livia is right out...sorry!)

Congrats.

I just became the youngest grandfather I've ever met at 44. My son, who's half Italian (my half) and half an amalgam of European--English/Scots-Irish/French/etc or Heinz 57 as we used to say--decided to give him my Grandfather's first name as his son's middle name: Fioraivante. Not gonna go over well in school I tried to explain.

My favortie female names in Latin are Claudia, Veronica, Stella and Ursula. My favorite name is Zoe for a girl but it's Greek not latin.

Yes, add Olga, Svetlana, Nadya, Anastasia, Tanya and Ludmilla and you have 99% of the names of every woman I ever met while living in St. Pete's.

We speak about Roman names here, not Russian, lol :)

Oh by the way, I hope this site is helpful Female Latin Names

I looked this site just now. At least Russian names not true here (mosly not Russian or have not right forms). I suggest Roman names are not true value here too)

I think else Anna and Flavia are real Roman names.

Edited by Lacertus

Congratulations! I vote for Flavia and Veronica but not Messalina!

Perhaps an Elizabethen name? Lettys or Poppy? :) Saffron or Willow ? oops-all herbs again. :(