UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ancient Beer

Pantagathus

Excuse me if i'm being dumb... but have a load of posts been deleted from this thread?

I'm sure there was a a heated debated going on about beer!

The mods cut the first page or so of this thread out of a thread dealing with Legionary rations. The spark of the debate started there and is probably still in that thread. :)

Hmm, actually this is the new thread, split from the other thread. I sure dont recall deleting anything. Anyway, how heated could a beer debate be?

Example:

Random Poster: Beer is great!

Random Poster #2: No, its excellent!

Random Poster #3 with a more developed vocabulary: Contemptible mendicants, beer is sublime!

Please someone save this topic :)

post-1-1160630497.ipb

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Check Pantagathus' site for an excellent blog , by him,on Celtiberian use of Borage . It cross refers to an earlier entry in my blog on this site.

http://www.thenectarofgods.com/index.asp

He has been too modest to mention it.

Edited by Pertinax

On top of the Borage article, there is another I put up yesterday that has a lot to do with ancient beer... Egyptian zythum to be exact.

The Nectar of Gods (History catagory)

There is something to be investigated though... In the notes of a 19th Century Pliny translation, for 23.83 (where Pliny talks about women using the 'Spuma' from zythum as a facial) the translater says that zythum is mentioned in the Talmud under the name 'zietham' and that there it's described as being made with barley, wild saffron and salt in equal parts. :D

• 6 months later...

Time to revisit this old thread and add something new to the discussion on Gaulish & Iberian beers I found in good old Pliny:

"The people of the Western world have also their intoxicating drinks, made from corn steeped in water. These beverages are prepared in different ways throughout Gaul and the provinces of Spain; under different names, too, though in their results they are the same. The Spanish provinces have even taught us the fact that these liquors are capable of being kept till they have attained a considerable age." - 14.29

So Polybius may have been more accurate then we expected in mentioning Iberian "Barelywine"

I also love the anecdote that Pliny goes on to tell us:

"How much more ingenious, however, man has shown himself in devising various kinds of drink will be evident from the fact, that there are no less than one hundred and ninety-five different kinds of it; indeed, if all the varieties are reckoned, they will amount to nearly double that number."

This post rather crosses over into TNOG territory, but it still valid here:

As some of you will know I have tried to produce beers/stouts using "natural" products (no chemical cleaners, especially not sterilising fluids) , natural sugars that would have been available to our ancestors (honeycomb, malt) , and using fresh herb additives (eg: rosemary herb , borage herb, virtually pure chocolate (87 percent cocoa fat), the latter I admit as being rather more Meso American than "Old World" ).Last but not least oatmeal for fearsome fermentation and body!

You get the general drift though-an uncomplicated set of ingredients that could have been put together many hundreds of years ago- interestingly a rosemary flavoured beer I brewed, and an oat stout from the same time , (in the early months of this year ) are still fermenting at a low level with a little additional clean water. They are ,I think , moving toward the Barley wine stage. I would prefer them to be in stone containers or an amphora substitute, but im afraid modern poly barrels are just too convenient. The nutritional content of these beers will be high, and no B vitamins will be lost despite the potency- the exact opposite of mass produced modern beers.

• 4 months later...
Read the description in the link for all the info and if you can find it BUY IT!!! It is so delicious!

"Calorie content (per 12-ounce serving): approx. 307"

Holy Hygieia! That's more calories than I take for a MEAL!

Must be good stuff! :rolleyes:

-- Nephele

Calorie content (per 12-ounce serving): approx. 307

Tasting Notes: Honey, saffron, papaya, melon, biscuity, succulent.

Food pairing recomendations: Pan-Asian dishes, risotto, curries, baked fish and chicken.

Glass recommendation: White Wine

Who needs to know this? Where's the Alchohol content and price? That's all I need.

Until someone tells me these I'll stick to PBR, Bud, and Spaten when I'm feelin' classy! :rolleyes:

Edit: BTW, what in Loki's name does Biscuity flavour taste like???

Edited by Julius Ratus

Who needs to know this? Where's the Alchohol content and price? That's all I need.

9% ABV :drunk: & ~$9.99 for a 4 pack

Bready without being 'malty' per se. Forget the cloying descriptions though, it's just really good & hides the high alcohol content very well...)

You are trying to drive me into bankruptcy and perdition! :rolleyes:

But of course sir!

Sounds like the King's funeral party was pretty big.And only 307 nourishing calories per bottle, virtually a slimming aid! Excellent, I ringing the vintner now.

Anchor Brewery...I see a maritime motif yet again.

9% ABV :drunk: & ~$9.99 for a 4 pack

Bready without being 'malty' per se. Forget the cloying descriptions though, it's just really good & hides the high alcohol content very well...)

I don't consider anything short of 70 proof as having high alchohol content, but sounds good all the same. At $9.99 I can pick up a pack and see how good it is. Thanks for the heads up.

I have tried a different Dogfish Head, compliments of Pantagathus :notworthy: and something called Trappiste, also compliments of His Beership :notworthy: . Both excellent, but the latter has the edge (to me).

He has to tell us how it is best drunk though. It does make a difference.