UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Dante's Inferno

Zeke

Dante's Inferno....the Great Italian Classic, has anyone ever read it. And if you have what do you think of it?

I was surprised to see Brutus and Cassius on the lowest level of hell with Judas. But I guess that's the medieval mindset for you--Dante had a true and passionate love for authority and a superstitious fear of anything that opposes it. Overall, I think the Inferno is overrated--Boccaccio's Decameron is better and much more fun.

I was surprised to see Brutus and Cassius on the lowest level of hell with Judas. But I guess that's the medieval mindset for you--Dante had a true and passionate love for authority and a superstitious fear of anything that opposes it. Overall, I think the Inferno is overrated--Boccaccio's Decameron is better and much more fun.
I agree. The Decameron is a lot of fun. You can get master director Passolini's version in VHS or DVD. The Italian is dialect which makes the movie even more endearing. It's rated R, strictly for adults. Think Canterbury Tales humor and license.

The Damnatio is entertaining if you want to see how medieval minds set punishment to percieved sin

Edited by Pertinax

Dante's Inferno, well never read it because I don't like really reading about Hell and the suffering, gives me thoughts.

I do believe there's gonna be a new version of the Decameron coming out next year, but its a modified version by the directors for attracting the public. But the movie is gonna definitely be rated R. I believe its called The Decameron: Angels and Virgins.

I read the inferno, but I stopped there.... reading about a man repelling off of satan's butthairs to enter purgatory wasn't deeply facinating to me, but I love the visual idea of the traveling thru hell and possibly seeing all the levels hanging at the top of the roof!

I'm planning on reading the other two books when I go to Iraq in Oct.

I just read in a newpaper article on the 27th of Dec. that the Vatican got rid of the idea of Limbo, citing Dante's Inferno. Never cared for my churches (catholic) overabondance of logicians, they would be harmless enough writting but people tend to believe what the write as fact! It's just speculation, or an aid at best, geeze!

I read the inferno, but I stopped there.... reading about a man repelling off of satan's butthairs to enter purgatory wasn't deeply facinating to me, but I love the visual idea of the traveling thru hell and possibly seeing all the levels hanging at the top of the roof!

I'm planning on reading the other two books when I go to Iraq in Oct.

I just read in a newpaper article on the 27th of Dec. that the Vatican got rid of the idea of Limbo, citing Dante's Inferno. Never cared for my churches (catholic) overabondance of logicians, they would be harmless enough writting but people tend to believe what the write as fact! It's just speculation, or an aid at best, geeze!

I don't understand. Is your objection that people might believe that there is no Limbo?

Dante's Inferno....the Great Italian Classic, has anyone ever read it. And if you have what do you think of it?

Zeke

Look at my location :)

La divina commedia is a compulsory reading in school in Italy. I recently re-read it for my medieval literature course as well. I remember when I was in school during the class I used to draw the circles of Inferno on a piece of paper and put in them the names of people I hated lol..most of them would end up in Caina or Giudecca :). Even back then I was very simple-minded it seems :)

One of the impressive elements of the Divine Comedy is the variety of styles used. Dante said his primary source of inspiration was Virgil with his