UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Last Legion (movie)

I've also read the Alexander Trilogy books, The first two were alright (even if the translations were a little bland) but when it came to the third novel it seemed as if Manfredi rushed through it - it starts after Alexander leaves Egypt and ends with his death- the whole battle of Hydaspes is covered in a short letter to Aristotle (whom I believe, historically, was becoming extremely disallusioned with Alexander's orientalization policy and had cut off most links with him).

As for the movie, I had seen the video that Miguel had posted, a few months ago. It seems to me that the film will be more on the line of action adventure type of movie (like the mummy films) rather than an epic like Gladiator or Spartacus. There is one short review I read a few weeks ago by someone who had seen the preview (on IMDB) and they criticised it for a cheesy dialouge. I've also heard people criticise it for hoarding up the costumes from 'Xena - Warrior Princess' and 'King Arthur'. It does seem to me that the costumes and the sets look like Rome in the First Century instead of the Fifth, but I probably will see the movie on DVD when it comes out, who knows it might be fun?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading more reviews by those who were given screen previews. It doesn't sound good. Too many people either hated it or just thought it was mediocre. There are complaints about the pacing, the acting and the story line, while others say it's very low budget and that it looks cheap. One girl says its a bit like Jerry Bruckheimer's 'King Arthur' (Which I haven't seen) but without any thing that made that film good. Apparently the film is also suffering from an identity crisis, with its name being changed from 'The Last Legion' to 'The Enchanted Sword' and back to the 'Last Legion'.

I will wait till I see it before saying if it's good or bad ( It's all a matter of taste) but the preview reviews don't make it sound too good.

I viewd the trailer. Seems like an action movie where the characters fight to the death without ever wrecking their make-up.

If you want to see a low budget but very high quality film based on an actual account from the last century of the West Roman Empire, don't miss De Reditu (Il ritorno) (2004), when it comes to a local art house cinema. Not available on video, as far as I can tell. Here's the plot summary from IMDB.com:

"'De Reditu' takes place in 415 AD- five years after the devestating sack of Rome by the Visigoths- and tells the true story of Claudius Rutilius Namatianus, the last great pagan poet of a declining Roman Empire. A nobleman frustrated by the dominance of Christianity (which he blames for Rome's troubles) and a failed love affair, Claudius embarks on a sea journey to his native Gaul in order to raise an army and bring glory back to the Empire."

Edited by Ludovicus

If you want to see a low budget but very high quality film based on an actual account from the last century of the West Roman Empire, don't miss De Reditu (Il ritorno) (2004), when it comes to a local art house cinema. Not available on video, as far as I can tell. Here's the plot summary from IMDB.com:

"'De Reditu' takes place in 415 AD- five years after the devestating sack of Rome by the Visigoths- and tells the true story of Claudius Rutilius Namatianus, the last great pagan poet of a declining Roman Empire. A nobleman frustrated by the dominance of Christianity (which he blames for Rome's troubles) and a failed love affair, Claudius embarks on a sea journey to his native Gaul in order to raise an army and bring glory back to the Empire."

I'll check this out. Never heard of this movie before. Does it talk about the sack of Rome? I would be more interested if it does, than after the sack.

I'll check this out. Never heard of this movie before. Does it talk about the sack of Rome? I would be more interested if it does, than after the sack.

"De Reditu" takes place after the sack of Rome. The protagonist, Claudius, is on the move a lot. This is no "cast of thousands" film. It's mostly Claudius experiencing the collapse of Roman rule on the way to Gaul from Rome. No shots of the Rome's Forum or large cityscapes. In Rome there are just a number of interior scenes in a house where Claudius is staying. I remember another scene on the road when Claudius and his companions have a meal at a tavern where there are barbarians being served. There's tension between the two groups.

I saw the film at the Philadelphia International Film Festival maybe 2 years ago. I felt the theme, the writing, direction, costumes, dialogue, and acting were very good.

Sounds good Ludovicus! Though I suppose it's very hard to get a copy of it on DVD. It's a shame really as this era of Roman History is continually ignored by film makers or if they attempt to tackle it they do a botched job of showing Rome and the Romans as if it were the golden age of Trajan - Marcus Aurelius.

Sounds good Ludovicus! Though I suppose it's very hard to get a copy of it on DVD. It's a shame really as this era of Roman History is continually ignored by film makers or if they attempt to tackle it they do a botched job of showing Rome and the Romans as if it were the golden age of Trajan - Marcus Aurelius.

I checked the IMDB.com website which shows no video tape or DVD version...yet. If anyone locates one, please inform UNRV.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to the new trailer for the Last Legion:

The Last Legion Trailer

It runs on Quicktime. It takes a few minutes to load up, so best to leave it for a while until it's done.

It looks like it's going to be a mythic/historical type of movie on the same lines as 'The Scorpion King' rather than a historically correct film.

Looks pretty good, if it's half as good as the book then it's worth watching, it looks like like it's been made on quite a big budget with decent special effects, but your right, historical fact has definately gone out of the window!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Do I detect cast elements from "Love Actually" meets " The Mummy" ? Capri certainly looks a lot racier than ive seen it for a while.

• 1 month later...

I looked at the preview and I have a feeling that it's going be long on action, short on story / drama ...

I generally prefer the latter (although I don't mind action scenes, provided it fits in with the context and is portrayed with intensity).

Anyway, let's wait and perhaps it may turn out to be a good film... It's too early to tell. My gut says it is going to be pretty bad but let's see how it turns out.

Edited by Skarr

• 2 weeks later...

I may be shooting off onto a huge tangent here, but it seems to me that most Roman films are about characters who either featured in Shakespeares works, the Bible, or characters who were around in roughly the same period.

Picture a parallel world. I wonder what films would have been produced had Shakespeare written a play about Constantine, instead of Caesar? or Placidia and Constantius, instead of Antony and Cleopatra? What would have happened if Valentinian had produced a column, instead of Trajan? I hazard a guess that, sometime around 2005, film producers would say 'hey, there's a whole lot of Roman history we havent made films about here - the early bit. Lets make a film about this guy called Caesar!'

Us lot at UNRV would then be seen foaming at the mouth, incandescent with rage, watching Caesar cross the Rubicon accompanied by 'Legionaries' with long hair, wearing spangenhelms and long sleeved tunics, carrying dragon standards. We would throw shoes at the television as Laurence Olivier meets the slave revolt with an army of Clibanarii, horse archers and poorly equipped infantry.

A bit like we are now when we see Arthur approaching a fort full of Claudian period auxillia, or books depicting the withdrawel of the Romans from Britain, complete with pictures of legionaries in full lorica boarding ships, with glum faced Romano Brits looking on.

Just a thought... ;)

But I remain open minded about the coming film adaptation of the Last Legion. Lets hope that it does not miss the oppurtunity to adequately depict to a largely ignorant public the painful transition from classical to early mediaeval worlds, which Manfredi more than adequately depicts in his book.

Edited by Northern Neil

• 2 weeks later...