UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Modern Sources On Sulla

M. Porcius Cato

Well, how about, Sulla; The Last Republican by Dr. Arthur Keaveney (University Kent)

Sulla is one of the most controversial figures of the Roman Republic. A harsh military leader devoted to the idea of Rome's destiny, he has often been portrayed as simply a tyrant or despot. Arthur Keaveney's biography, first published more than twenty years ago, overturned that view in favor of a more complex portrait of a man obsessed with the belief that he was the recipient of divine favour: Sulla Felix. In this second edition of Keaveney's biography the text has been completely rewritten and the findings of two decades of scholarship have been fully integrated.

regards

viggen

I saw this on Amazon too, but I was wondering whether anyone on this forum had read it and could recommend it.

Read everything you can get your hands on, I try to whether or not it is recommended

Here's another, this one is good

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081541147...glance&n=283155

Edited by Viggen

Read everything you can get your hands on, I try to whether or not it is recommended

Here's another, this one is good

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081541147...glance&n=283155

From an Amazon reviewer: "This is a book which was written in 1927 and is very dated. The author has no foot notes and the book does not have a bibliography." Hmmm....again, not what I'm looking for. I mean, I can read Plutarch if that's all I'm after.

I saw this on Amazon too, but I was wondering whether anyone on this forum had read it and could recommend it.

...and then write a review and post it here, that would help allot of people...

regards,viggen

Hi Cato, reading it at the moment. It's gripping, and I think the author really logical in the way he goes about things. Not that far into it, but I think you in particular would enjoy it !