UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Origins Of Romanophilia

M. Porcius Cato

I became intrerested in ancient history and on the Romans mainly because when I was young I thought the army was cool and looked awesome and was so badass.

As I got older, I realized the Romans are our forerunners... and to study them is almost a self-examination of ourselves..

More recently, I have found myself drawn to learn as much as I can about certain aspects of the Roman world, particualarly that of the Late Empire, because to me the period has this dark, forboding atmosphere about it, yet at the same time has a romantic feeling to it. Besides, I feel that the best way to honor those who came before us is to learn about them and be able to carry on thier legacy of what they did and said and how they lived. If we just write it down but do not really learn it, we are truely destroying Rome and making her fall forever... be all of us here constantly reading, questioning them, learning about them... we keep the Eternal City truely eternal in our hearts and minds...

I think that it should be the personal mission/goal of every person alive to remember and honor those who came before us. As those who did the same for those who came before the Romans or Greeks, so shall we be remembered and honored by those who follow us.

Edited by Neos Dionysos