UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Attila Tv

frankq

Anyone seen or know anything about the TV drama ''Attila''? I almost missed it here on European TV, was browsing the TV guide, saw it posted, turned it on a few minutes late, came in on the first part of a four part series. Not bad at all, certainly very good as far as TV dramas go. Boothe Powers plays a certain Aetius, others are unknown. As usual, always Brits playing Romans.

I'm not that well informed about this late period of the Empire. Again, anyone seen the show?

I correct myself. Since I am so weak in late Empire history I did some checking. While the production values and acting are quite good, the series so far is plagued with inaccuracies. Although less than knowledgeable about the period, two things struck me right off. Wasn't Attila Asian or at least semi-Eurasian? This series has him looking like a model out of a yuppie fashion magazine. Secondly I mused, wasn't the Empire Christian by now? Everyone in Rome is running around doing pagan things. (Makes for better and more enticing drama of course.)

I recall watching part of it and being disappointed. Honestly, that's all I really remember... Well that and everytime I see Powers Booth I think of Jim Jones and the People's Temple. Somehow that role he played is burned into my psyche.

I always get his name wrong. Powers Boothe, sorry. And I know what you mean, I saw that flick, too, and he gave a chilling performance. Wasn't it a TV movie? And weren't there two versions that came out at the same time, different actors?

In my defense RE Attila, the first episode kept things on safe ground. Now I've seen parts 2 and 3 and the production values are so cheap that, well....

What can I say? I'm stuck here in Europe and anything that comes up on our often 3rd world TV about Rome I just jump on. I'm still waiting for HBO's Rome.

One perk last night was that Tim Curry plays Theodorus. Plays him as his usual self but, well, it's a plus for the series. Tonight is part 4, the conclusion. Interesting to see what's done with it.

Oh, PS: Possibly Powers Booth's best performance was in a film about the Amazon, I think it's called The Enchanted Forest.

Oh, in one post I stated the production values were good, in this most recent post I claim they're horrible. Contradiction? Not at all. This is a cunning way with ''made for TV movies''. They throw all their punch and bucks on openers and then cut corners later on.

Oh, in one post I stated the production values were good, in this most recent post I claim they're horrible. Contradiction? Not at all. This is a cunning way with ''made for TV movies''. They throw all their punch and bucks on openers and then cut corners later on.

Some of it is coming back to me now... just wait until the Battle of Chalons. Its like the director told the reenactors... 'Just run around alot yelling and such. If you get close to anyone pretend like you want to fight them but make sure the audience understands that you clearly don't mean to hurt anyone, and certainly wouldn't swing your weapon with even feigned authority'.

Heh :)

Some of it is coming back to me now... just wait until the Battle of Chalons. Its like the director told the reenactors... 'Just run around alot yelling and such. If you get close to anyone pretend like you want to fight them but make sure the audience understands that you clearly don't mean to hurt anyone, and certainly wouldn't swing your weapon with even feigned authority'.

So how did the many deaths of the Catalunian field occur, did they just start falling down on cue :)

Edited by Tobias

Has anyone seen the American version, well its a long movie that's like a B/Epic movie. They often show it on the History Channel.Its much better.As how you guys described this one, it seems horribly bad then.

Seen what? What's the title? I know there was a movie made in the 50's about Attila, with Jeff Chandler.

Nevermind, my mistake. I assumed wrong about there being another Attila film. You guys were talking about British movie production, I thought there was an American one, turns out to be the British one and both the same. So in the end, I'm an idiot. :) By the way, I didn't think the movie wasn't so bad. The historical accuracy was darn wrong and the drama was boring, but I didn't think the battles were lame. Thought they did just fine with the battle scene.

I saw it. It was enjoyable actually, the parts played by the eastern and western leaders were decent. The battles blew miserably, and Atilla was passed off as some romantic hero and I assure you if the viewers saw the real man I am sure this would not be their take on the situation.