UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Puerto Rico

Should Puerto Rico become the 51st state of the union and what ramifications would this have on the culinary scope of American cuisine? How does this relate to Cuba's Elian? :rolleyes::huh:

I don't think this has to do with Elian or Cuba at all. Puerto Rico could have easily become the 51st state, but unfortunately, they voted no. They almost did become, but then almost did not.

This is an on going issue.

The P-R population is rather split in regards to Statehood. From an ideological standpoint most are for it; but practical matters like taxation and the mortality of certain other of their sovereign laws under the Federal System hold them back.

When it all comes down to it, the reason it hasn't happend is almost the same as why the US hasn't converted to the metric system... too much money to switch all the flags to have 51 stars... ;)

No. In fact, not only should we be not adding more states to the Union, we should be expelling states who are a constant drain to the federal treasury. Time to cut our losses.

Oh I agree. It's am amusing thing to me the parity of income between predominantly conservative and democratic states. Conservatives typically are the ones who drive for less social programs and public spending on things like getting people jobs, liberals the opposite, for various reasons. Yet when you compare the sum total of income from these states you find that the mostly democratic states make 60-70% of the income of the United States.

So Utah, geet a haircut and geet a jeorb!

Oh I agree. It's am amusing thing to me the parity of income between predominantly conservative and democratic states. Conservatives typically are the ones who drive for less social programs and public spending on things like getting people jobs, liberals the opposite, for various reasons. Yet when you compare the sum total of income from these states you find that the mostly democratic states make 60-70% of the income of the United States.

If you'll notice, you're actually just describing the highest concentrations of population rather than a political agenda affecting income contributions of states. The highest population centers also have the highest concentration of commercial and industry centers. Therefore regardless of politics, the highest contributions to the GDP will come from the highest population centers.

I find the county by county results to be far more interesting. Democrats control most of the major urban areas while the Republicans dominate the rural and a great deal of the suburban areas.

Here's a good map at the University of Michigan

Which states specifically do you think should be expelled?

If I say, then I probably greatly annoy anyone from those states. But it seems to me there are always several states that score in the bottum rung of GDP, education scores, and the like. They suck up far more of the federal budget than they contribute.

If I say, then I probably greatly annoy anyone from those states. But it seems to me there are always several states that score in the bottum rung of GDP, education scores, and the like. They suck up far more of the federal budget than they contribute.

Maybe it would help if we merged the Dakotas and the Carolinas (North and South). That would be two less completely independent state governments and such. If that doesn't help I suggest expelling Michigan's upper peninsula. It truly is another country up there and its already on the border with Canada... redrawing the maps wont be so difficult anyway ;)

Maybe it would help if we merged the Dakotas and the Carolinas (North and South

I live in North Carolina and I'll have you know that we don't want to merge with South Carolina, but if you're going at it, why don't you make Virginia and West Virgina on state all together, and don't you think its annoying having those tiny annoying states like delaware and Maryland around to mess up the electoral college, not to mention the senatorial vote. Personaly if we merge Viginia and West Virginia, while we're at it we can throw in delaware and Maryland. And let me make the additional suggestion of taking those annoying North Eastern States, e.g. vermont, maine, new hampshire, and stick them together into Vermaineshire, good ideas eh? ;)