UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romans Lend Me Your Ears

Arvioustus

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is so amazing about this time period is the personalties were so amazing and wouldn`t you like to meet one of them. I am sure the great majority of you have to choose Jesus,believer or not, just because of what he brought to the world and the changes that occured. Caesar of course, arguably one of the greatest generals of all time. Some say he was just a merciless poltician who commited illegal wars for his own gain. Perhaps he even engineered the start of these wars himself,always having an excuse. You have to look at his battles though, the men fought hard and valiantly for him. Perhaps even more so than any sodiers have for a leader. Many,many examples from the Helvetii(Celtic tribe who were alwys battling the Germanic tribes and keeping them in check!), Vercingetirix and the Celts(also many Germanic Belage too),Ariovistus and the Germanic tribes all succumbed too Caesar. You have to remember the Romans were so seriouisly outnumberd(exact figured not certain but probable)...aginst the Celts sometimes at leat 10 to 1,Germans sometimes anywhere from armies of 250,000 to 430,,000 on one account with Caear having only 80,000!!!! He also made statemnetns:crossing the Rhine for 18 days while the German tribes cowarded...yes cowarded. Sometimes dropping their weapons and drowning in the Rhine. How can many say he was not a great general?!

Cleopatra...I just want to meet her:)

Hannibal..of course, may-be more brilliant than Caesar? Perhpas?

Spartucus...bravery personified.

Many more I am sure on your list and I must conclude: just amazing this perios in time.

Amongst the upper echelon I would like to meet Cleopatra, Marc Antony, and Claudius. But to be more honest, I would prefer a conversation with 1.) A common Roman soldier from various times in Roman History, one whom had actually served in Judea during the time of Christ; One who had served in Britain during the time of Boudicca, one who had served with Julius Ceasar and one who had served when Caligula or Nero was emperor. 2) A common Roman citizen during the times of Julius and of Nero; 3) A male and female Roman slave who lived during the above listed times. And frankly, I cannot create such a list without adding Spartacus.