UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Dalby

Roman Spices And Aromatics

I thought people here might be interested in this exchange (from the Temple of Jupiter list) -- and in re-imagining the aromas of Roman life, from cookery to cosmetics. And incidentally I don't know if I have the right answer to Doug's question or whether there was some other shrub he's thinking about ...

Here it comes

--- In templejupiter@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Stych" <unitedcats@e...> wrote:

>

> I seem to recall that the Romans destroyed some bush that grew in one

> valley in Palestine. It produced some sort of oil. Does this ring a

> bell with anyone? More importantly, does anyone remember the name of

> the bush or the oil?

>

> Thanks

> Doug

I've been puzzling over this and I wonder whether you're remembering the uprooting of some of the Balsam of Mecca trees (scientific name Commiphora Opobalsamum). This tree incidentally is native to southern Arabia, was naturalised in Palestine some time BC (according to legend it was brought there by the Queen of Sheba of course). After Titus's subduing of Palestine some of these trees were paraded in his triumph through the streets of Rome. An indication of how important Balsam of Mecca was in Roman cosmetics and medicine.

However they were not rendered extinct. Balsam was afterwards grown in Roman Palestine as a cash crop. It did die out there later and I have been told that there has been recent work on reintroducing it. I'll cross-post this to the Apicius list in case someone there has information on this.

Andrew

this is Balm Of Gilead is it not- isnt it confined to a small range in the smaller gulf states ? or am I getting mixed up with Boswellia (frankincensce)? Weirdly I actually sold some balm (no "life of Brian " jokes please!) <_< last week for the first time in 2 or 3 years (I used it for laryingitis alongside sage).

erratum!

No I correct my own error! :) its Myrrh! so cue "Life of brian " after all! We also have C abyssinica (dead give away for origin there). If anyone has seen it as a medicine it is sometimes called Guggul gum- what a lovely name! The gum contains a number of steroids, alcoholics use it to ease stomach cramps;but it is an antinflammatory in its own right. NE Africa and Arabia.

BUT! on second thoughts I wonder if your man was enquiring about Balm Of Gilead? (Populus candicans amongst several), confined (in the species known to Rome) to Arabia alone.There are related species in America . Its nicknames are-Mecca Balsam and Gileadensis.

yet more addenda-the P candicans is the american variant and your Linnaean terminology was correct first time:my two trusty ,and very battered sources, are disagreed on who is american and who otherwise. I have 5 major species listed. The American variant is a type of turpentine -so I now understand its older use as an intravenous medium.

serves me right trying to think when ive just got back from work!

right:-use only the leaf buds in spring before they have opened. Bark is acceptable. Main constituent is a phenolic glycoside and our old chum salicin , so we are in expectorant territory and also analgesic properties.

Jeremiah famously refers-"is there no balm in gilead?" ( obviously no because its a dangerous animal :bag: ) This is the tree said to have been taken by the Queen of Sheba to Solomon as a gift to celebrate his wisdom.

Edited by Pertinax

:) "Quick throw it in the trough!"

...... :bag:

please add any "Brian" joles you desire against the image I have posted in the Roman Herbal Gallery!

Unless you are from the PFJ, or PJF.

Don't give him that it'll bite him! <_<

seeing as we are on the subject of Roman food; I heard about the recepie for hamburgers, but I can't recall from which Roman cookbook this came from. I just remember that from a television show I saw years ago, and it said one Roman's name and that he had written this cookbook or list.

Don't give him that it'll bite him! <_<

seeing as we are on the subject of Roman food; I heard about the recepie for hamburgers, but I can't recall from which Roman cookbook this came from. I just remember that from a television show I saw years ago, and it said one Roman's name and that he had written this cookbook or list.

Quite coincidentaly I posted that recipe today... it's called Isicia Omentata. Look for the thread called 'Simple Roman Dish' B)