UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Worst Roman Legacy To America

Arvioustus

The worst legacy of Rome to America? Do you mean the US or the American continents of North America and South America? We US citizens are not the only Americans in the world. A Mexican is an American, a Chilean is an American, etc.

Probably the worst legacy of Rome to any of the Americas is the lie that you can maintain a republic and an empire at the same time.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst legacy of Rome to America? Do you mean the US or the American continents of North America and South America? We US citizens are not the only Americans in the world. A Mexican is an American, a Chilean is an American, etc.

Probably the worst legacy of Rome to any of the Americas is the lie that you can maintain a republic and an empire at the same time.

Sorry, I see that the subtopic is units of measures.

It's obvious that for countries such as America, that are set up according to Imperial measurements, it would simply not be practical to just change the country's official system of measurement to metric. So what is the solution? Does America (And i refer to the United States of America) remain Imperial

for the rest of it's existence? Or does it slowly, over time, become metric?

People sure get uptight about that whole 'American' thing. Its not the first time I've seen it but allow me to illustrate how it drives me nuts.....

To all people of the world including our own citizenry: Americans are from America. We are not United Statesians or USA'ers, United Statesers, Unitedisans, Staticans or even Americans of the United States. We are Americans. A Mexican is a Mexican. He may be a North American like Americans, because North America is a continent, but he is not simply an American. Europeans are Europeans because that is the continent that they share but an Austrian is not also French. If someone says American, the implication is simple... they mean someone from the United States. If someone says South American, they could mean a Brazilian, Argentinian, Columbian or any particular nationality within South American, but people do not refer to Brazilians as Americans.

People sure get uptight about that whole 'American' thing. Its not the first time I've seen it but allow me to illustrate how it drives me nuts.....

To all people of the world including our own citizenry: Americans are from America. We are not United Statesians or USA'ers, United Statesers, Unitedisans, Staticans or even Americans of the United States. We are Americans. A Mexican is a Mexican. He may be a North American like Americans, because North America is a continent, but he is not simply an American. Europeans are Europeans because that is the continent that they share but an Austrian is not also French. If someone says American, the implication is simple... they mean someone from the United States. If someone says South American, they could mean a Brazilian, Argentinian, Columbian or any particular nationality within South American, but people do not refer to Brazilians as Americans.

Tell a Mexican or a Canadian that they are not Americans and see what you get.

I use the term American for myself as much as anyone here in the US, but I also concede that there are others on the two American continents who claim the same right. Most of them who speak Spanish will use "mexicano," "chileno," etc, but they are also firm in stating that they are Americans. The most exact term in Spanish for a citizen of the US is "estadounidense."

Edited by Ludovicus

I use the term American for myself as much as anyone here in the US, but I also concede that there are others on the two American continents who claim the same right. Most of them who speak Spanish will use "mexicano," "chileno," etc, but they are also firm in stating that they are Americans. The most exact term in Spanish for a citizen of the US is "estadounidense."

Frankly I was just having a bit of fun with this, I'm not really all that concerned with what anyone calls themselves. In all seriousness though... I don't know alot of Mexicans, so I admit I have no clue. However, being from a border state with Canada and having frequent contact with Canadians, a semi frequent visitor to Canada, and being a semi-regular viewer of the CBC (mostly just Hockey Night in Canada and the occasional CBC Nightly News), I feel safe in saying that I have never heard a Canadian call him or herself an American and most would be ashamed to dismiss their own Canadian identity in such a manner. The folks I know are quite proud to be Canadian. To each their own suppose.

Frankly I was just having a bit of fun with this, I'm not really all that concerned with what anyone calls themselves. In all seriousness though... I don't know alot of Mexicans, so I admit I have no clue. However, being from a border state with Canada and having frequent contact with Canadians, a semi frequent visitor to Canada, and being a semi-regular viewer of the CBC (mostly just Hockey Night in Canada and the occasional CBC Nightly News), I feel safe in saying that I have never heard a Canadian call him or herself an American and most would be ashamed to dismiss their own Canadian identity in such a manner. The folks I know are quite proud to be Canadian. To each their own suppose.

A few years ago I stayed in Toronto for a couple of months. I met a lot of Canadians and noticed they used the term American to refer to those of us from the U.S. Of course in Europe it's not even a question that American is used.