UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ignorant Instructors...

Neos Dionysos

My own field deals with a professional grad degree so the assumption of literacy isn't usually a guess. In lieu of a better methodology I'll still interview, still check backgrounds, still look them in the eye and worry as much about their social skills as professional and so on. Then after their hired mentor them well and give them a year probation to watch their performance. Yeah it's ugly, but it works well enough.

You wouldn't happen to be dealing with Ed.D. and Education Ph.D. are you? They're from another planet.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own field deals with a professional grad degree so the assumption of literacy isn't usually a guess. In lieu of a better methodology I'll still interview, still check backgrounds, still look them in the eye and worry as much about their social skills as professional and so on. Then after their hired mentor them well and give them a year probation to watch their performance. Yeah it's ugly, but it works well enough.

You wouldn't happen to be dealing with Ed.D. and Education Ph.D. are you? They're from another planet.

No, I deal with lawyers and MA/Phds in Int'l Relations/Affairs and related fields.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm. My main problem with my professors is that so many of them derided the socio-economic system that gave them their cushy, cloistered lives in the first place. Oh well.

Without wishing to sound like a wining git because I really do love my work...just a word about my cushy cloistered life m8!

By the time I have my PhD I will have worked s*dding hard for seven years. I spend up to 14 hours a day researching and writing. I also teach both at school and at university to make ends meet. When I qualify I am not guaranteed a job by any means and when I do get one I will be paid less than most secondary school teachers.

Now I enjoy what I do but there are moments and this one of them when it occurs to me that students have a very funny idea of what an academic's life is really like. These days in the UK students tend to think that because they are paying for their educations that they have right to a degree. Not so, and when you sit in front of your next lecturer and imagine their cushy life do try and remember that they have studied for a long time to get where they are with nothing but a passion for their subject and a determination to prove something to themselves to drive them on. Try demonstrating your respect by reading for a seminar or two we quite like that, also remember a University does not exist to educate you, research first students next...really.

Definition of a uni lecturer

someone who talks in someone else's sleep.

By the way I chuck people out for falling asleep or pretending to...some of my colleagues have more arcane methods......

Right, rant over

SullaFelix

I was well on my way to an education degree before I realized this.

Maybe I am being picky, but when an instructor fails to acknowldge that catabults, ballista's, trebuchets and siege towers even EXISTED... I tend to be frustrated and insulted...

Neos, sorry to pick on you here, but I'm giddy with ironic spelling nazi delight. :romansoldier:

Did your instructor at least ask you

I'm giddy with ironic spelling nazi delight. :)

a stunning turn of phrase...I think you have just livened up my spelling comments on first year essays...thanks

:romansoldier:

SullaFelix

A jest not meant to truly point out a rather minor error by Neos, as much as it was an admittedly odd attempt to give academia a bit of credit. :)