UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Baetasians

I am slowly piecing together the "ethnic " identity of various Auxiliary vexillations around Brittania ( before and including the superior /inferior division). Batavii, Sarmatians ,Asturians (even some Britonnii -en route to Gaul id say), amongst others .However Baetasians , though "French" leave me stumped as to area of recruitment. Anyone knowledgable on this subject?

The Vexillation was at one time in Maryport (alavana carvetorium) then at Brancaster (Branodvnuvm) in the Severan epoch.Its possible that they had a "marine" component given the two locations but that is conjecture.

Edited by Pertinax

I was hoping to provide a definitive quote from the venerable Dr. Smith but oddly enough the Baetasians aren't noticed in his dictionary.

Cluver has them as originating from around Brabant; so on the border of the Netherlands & Belgium. So to use the tribal names given to us from the ancient geographers I would say the Batavii, Ubii or Menapii?

I've seen one gentleman try and connect the name to Baetia in Hispania because apparently there was a Spanish shrine near the Baetasian at one of the forts.

Other places say they were Germanic from betwen the Rhine & the Meuse.

My feeling is that the name was a subset name of one of the aforementioned Belgic tribes.

Edited by Pantagathus