UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Call To Arms

I'm not the worlds greatest writer but will give it a shot on a subject that interests me. Write folks, write. Write on any Rome/Roman related subject and submit it to the Triumvirate for consideration, and possible inclusion as site content. We can't let Wikipedia beat us on Roman related content...! Try to be as neutral as posible..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the worlds greatest writer but will give it a shot on a subject that interests me. Write folks, write. Write on any Rome/Roman related subject and submit it to the Triumvirate for consideration, and possible inclusion as site content. We can't let Wikipedia beat us on Roman related content...! Try to be as neutral as posible..

Thanks Clodius, yes we always welcome additions. The main 'history' site, which begins with the Kings of Rome and is currently through Hadrian, is being written in order with the intention of being a single continuing story. (and I really need to rewrite the early parts, this thing has grown far beyond my original intentions). That doesn't mean someone couldn't submit an article about Constantine, it just wouldn't be linked into that part of the 'story', but would still be readily available on the site.

There are some sections that I compiled as fairly generic overviews but still provide decent information... the provinces for instance... and others that go into far more detail, 'The Punic Wars' section for example. My coverage on some topics is cursory and really just a placeholder. As an example of this, the 'Roman medicine' section is laughable in its overall content to anyone who is educated in the field, but can serve as a quick introduction to a complete laymen.

What I am saying is... feel free to submit your own articles even if the subject exists. I take no offense to being corrected or challenged, and welcome any addition that improves the quality of the information provided.

I am writing every chance I can get. I have a few in the hopper & close to completion and a list of potentials based on what I don't already see covered by P-P

Problem is I have a sort of writers ADD that keeps me working on a number of works at the same time which causes me to finish them all later than expected...

For everyone else that is not a great writer, like me (or just wants to help out), there is a way to do that right here on Unrv.com :)

I started loooong ago a glossary page, but never got the time to actually make it big and useful, however if someone has the time and energy to help out feel free to get some terms starting with A

http://www.unrv.com/glossary/glossary-A.php

Some rules apply though, it must be a term somewhere on the page of unrv.com (so we can link to it) and the description should be just one short sentence...

I only take submissions right now for the letter A, so who is up for it?

cheers and thanks

viggen

For everyone else that is not a great writer, like me (or just wants to help out), there is a way to do that right here on Unrv.com :)

I started loooong ago a glossary page, but never got the time to actually make it big and useful, however if someone has the time and energy to help out feel free to get some terms starting with A

http://www.unrv.com/glossary/glossary-A.php

Some rules apply though, it must be a term somewhere on the page of unrv.com (so we can link to it) and the description should be just one short sentence...

I only take submissions right now for the letter A, so who is up for it?

cheers and thanks

viggen

Does this mean scouring through www.unrv.com for every latin term, concept, place, etc...that begins with "A"?

Does this mean scouring through www.unrv.com for every latin term, concept, place, etc...that begins with "A"?

yup, oh and i think any letter will do, i do see it might be too time consuming otherwise..

cheers

viggen

... and while having the effect of making a great site even better, there are certain personal rewards for contributions - i.e., a fast track to promotion.

Equestrians - get their own blogs, among other things

Patricians - eligible to partake in the monthly free book give away, have their own forum where their advice is solicited by the powers that be

On this site we adhere to the central Roman value that service to the community is the greatest virtue, and rewarded with honor and glory.

This is a great idea. So, where should we post our glossary entries? And will the glossary be continuously updated and published, or will we have to wait for a critical mass of entries?

Also, I noticed that quite a few of Plutarch's Romans aren't listed on the Roman Statesman page.

Also, I noticed that quite a few of Plutarch's Romans aren't listed on the Roman Statesman page.

Again, that was a page that I literally threw together as a placeholder for further glory later. Like many projects... its simply something I have not been able to return to yet. Cato, I would love to see some pieces on your namesake a well as men like Cicero. I barely gave them the attention they deserve because my focus was hardly biographical.

Clodius, same thing with you regarding your namesake. I've touched on these famous names of course, but I hardly give them the sort of attention they could get. If you guys fancy yourself writers these types of things would be wonderful additions.

{EDIT}

but keep in mind everyone... Please do not feel any pressure to do anything. If you prefer to just hang out here on the forum and discuss Roman history, so be it, that's why we created it in the first place. We simply wanted a place to discuss the Roman world. Nobody has any obligation outside of following the rules of this forum. If you aren't writing something for the joy of it, or for the satisfaction of helping to introduce people to Roman history, than don't feel as if you need to do something because the guy next to you is.

This site was started for those 2 very reasons. I still love researching and writing even if I don't have the time I wish I could dedicate to it, and nobody should feel pressured into helping. There are no time limits and I don't think it will ever be truly 'finished' anyway.

But thanks everyone for the enthusiasm of course!!!! :P:)