UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I'm Sorry If This Is A Bad Topic! Hbo Rome Vs. Actual Events&a

Thibodeau

I am very curious on how similar the TV HBO series Rome is accurate to actual (if you can call it that) history. I would be VERY interested in seeing the discrepancies between the show and reality. Is there a list of shortcomings? Maybe an important topic? I read the HBO topic, there were many things, but, not enough of what I was exactly looking for...I'm sorry if this topic is overdone, or, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Hell, I might even get banned or something!

Thank you for any input!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very curious on how similar the TV HBO series Rome is accurate to actual (if you can call it that) history. I would be VERY interested in seeing the discrepancies between the show and reality. Is there a list of shortcomings? Maybe an important topic? I read the HBO topic, there were many things, but, not enough of what I was exactly looking for...I'm sorry if this topic is overdone, or, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Hell, I might even get banned or something!

Thank you for any input!

As its been several months since I've actually seen the shows it might be difficult to recall all the sordid details. Is there anything in particular that you are really interested in or are you truly just looking for a list of inaccuracies?

There are few inaccuracies. The show was by far the most well researched on Rome to date. There are some differences, probably due to production/time restraints etc. Some key characters are missing, some key events are missing too. But as PP stated, perhaps you could put together something to focus on that we could help with.

Well I recall one thing from the first episode. There was a scene where (I suppose in order to give the characters Vorenus and Pullo a bigger influence on the story at hand) some hirelings of Pompey stole one of Caesar's legionary eagles. This is complete fabrication. There is also absolutely no record whatsoever of Octavian going to Gaul to meet with Caesar after his victory at Alesia, but putting Octavian with Vorenus and Pullo allowed the three to be introduced, showed us a glimpse of Octavian's political savvy, and made them all seem heroic and important to Caesar.

In reality, Octavian Journeyed to Spain during Caesar's campaign against the pompeians. He was ship wrecked, then led his group through enemy held territory to Caesar, despite recovering from illness. Caesar was impressed. Octavian was about 16 years old at the time.

Yes indeed, I should've added this as well. P. Clodius' point is very important because we find this many times throughout the series. There may be an event depicted that is untrue, but it may be derived from suggestions and innuendo, or even simply adapted from another true event in order to make the story more concise.

Thanks guys, anything is good. Also, I'm pretty sure Cato was too old in the show, yes? I studied his writing in class last month, if I recall he was younger then ceasar!

Yes his aged appearance is off, but sometimes directors/writer/casting agents fall in love with an actor and there's not much that one can do. Clearly though his appearance leaves the impression that he was far older than Caesar, so it is worth of being pointed out.

Thanks guys, anything is good. Also, I'm pretty sure Cato was too old in the show, yes? I studied his writing in class last month, if I recall he was younger then ceasar!

Good catch! I've harped on this a few times on this forum. Cato was younger than Caesar, who was younger than Cicero. Also, Cato wasn't present at the battle of Pharsalus, so it wasn't Cato you gave Pompey the stupid advice to attack Caesar when Pompey had Caesar cornered and starving.

Another inaccuracy is that Octavian didn't sleep with his sister. That's just salacious rubbish.

Still, I love the show. It's very accurate in most details.