UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

American Gods

Germanicus

I have recently been reading a fiction book called "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. I'm really enjoying it and will post a review once done. Has anyone else read it ? It's set in the present time, mostly in "nowhere USA" small towns. The basic premise of the book is that Gods exsist, and travelled to America with settlers who bought with them their beliefs. The older gods like Odin and Kali (Indian goddess) still exsist, but due to declining numbers of the faithfull have lost much of their power. They are being challenged by new gods, gods of TV, fast food, and the internet. All these gods exsist in corporeal form in the book. It makes for an entertaining, hard to put down read. I enjoy fiction that paints a realistic picture of the world we know, but with a mythical twist, when reading it, I can't help but be carried away, it kind of reminds me a bit of Raymond E Feists "Faery Tale", but better.

Terry Pratchett wrote something similarish with "small gods" ie" gods only receive strength from sincere worship, new gods appear with new "cults" , tv , microwave ovens. kfc family buckets etc.Old gods just fade with their believers. :P

Never read it, but you can't be a pagan without hearing about it, eventually.

I think the author's point is that a god is simply anything that becomes of overwhelming importance to a person. In the modern era, American pop culture has become something of its own religion. For instance, most people I know under 25 believe the most important thing in life is following their favorite music band. Pop culture icons have become gods to many people, even if they otherwise profess atheism.