UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Female Bum Behind Valentine Symbol?

Viggen

"The twin lobes of the stylized version correspond roughly to the paired auricles and ventricles (chambers) of the anatomical heart," Pranzarone said, but added that the organ "is never bright red in color" and its "shape does not have the invagination at the top nor the sharp point at the base."

Pranzarone indicated that the ancient Greeks and Romans could have originated the link between human female anatomy and the heart shape. The Greeks, he said, associated beauty with the curves of the human female behind.

full article at the Discovery Channel

• 3 weeks later...

invagination

I love expanding my vocabulary.

Heh, that is a good word. Lots of potential. :romansoldier:

Cute, guys...next thing you guys will say, I guess, is that you want to be linguists, too? ^_^

Cute, guys...next thing you guys will say, I guess, is that you want to be linguists, too? ^_^

Na, I can have a callow appreciation of words from time to time without taking up formal study!

You weren't gonna fall for that one, huh?

This is a most interesting and learned discussion, may I interject that the female lactatory glands which are an object of male fascination ( and appreciation) are such a powerful amatory symbol as they mimic the well rounded female buttock . Might it therefore be that as the invagination is topmost we are seeing a symbol of the breast rather than the posterior? Or perhaps Pranzarone doesnt get out much.

I am happy to acknowledge either as paramount.

Edited by Pertinax

I think various anthropologists have argued that the female body evolved its particular shape and form to sexually excite the male and to ensure that they would get "possessed" by the most eligible or rather, the strongest male specimen. I could well imagine that weaker males in a cavemen scenario would stand less of chance to pass on their genes to posterity than stronger and more virile males. It is no different from what we see in the animal kingdom where the bigger and stronger male wins and can be observed even today in say, the way lions breed.

Well, while modern men have certainly come a long way (today money and education are more important than brute strength), ancient symbols based on primitive beliefs abound.

Take the venerated cross for example. I remember reading a theory that the cross was actually shaped like a T with one vertical bar and one horizontal bar right across but later on, because they wanted to emphasize the male oriented religion (meant exclusively for men, with women having no rights to preach etc. in the early Church), they elongated the bar. The 'tree of life' is another phrase with strong symbolic associations.

The point here is that many of our so called 'symbols' are based on ancient views of the world, when birth must have seemed a total mystery. Where did babies come from was an adult question, not one asked by a fourth grader. People lived in groups then and women were worshipped for their creativity and it was not really known whether or not men were necessary for creating new life. Later on, as men grew wiser, women began to lose that respect they once enjoyed and soon descended from their status as divine beings, holders of the mysteries of life to a mere sexual object.

This is a most interesting and learned discussion, may I interject that the female lactatory glands which are an object of male fascination ( and appreciation) are such a powerful amatory symbol as they mimic the well rounded female buttock . Might it therefore be that as the invagination is topmost we are seeing a symbol of the breast rather than the posterior? Or perhaps Pranzarone doesnt get out much.

I am happy to acknowledge either as paramount.

I can't lay my finger on a link, but I do remember back in an old Sociology course we went over a survey on attractiveness (facial symetry, proprtions, etc) and there was a section on sexually attractive characteristics. One thing across cultures (including ones where bare female breasts were common) was that males were attracted to the well formed firm female buttock. That and 20-something-year-old women. Take that as you will :wub:

Perhaps we do, with a certain cunning ....:P

Edited by Spurius