UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Baseball

Germanicus

My partners younger brother plays baseball in the States, and had his first stint in the Major leages last year, just curious - I know it's a national past time in over there, but mostly I see forum members talking football, who's into baseball and what teams ?

I'm a very long-suffering Cubs fans (why do I always choose the underdogs?), but I don't follow them religiously. FWIW, I think the whole "baseball is the American pasttime" idea is a bit over-blown (much like our supposed reverance for the flag). Most people I know think baseball is boring.

I'm a very long-suffering Cubs fans (why do I always choose the underdogs?), but I don't follow them religiously. FWIW, I think the whole "baseball is the American pasttime" idea is a bit over-blown (much like our supposed reverance for the flag). Most people I know think baseball is boring.

I get the sense it's a slowly dying sport, well maybe dying is too strong. I've no statistics to back it up but I can't help but think that the various player strikes and shutdowns in the MLB (nine over the last thirty years) have significantly impacted popularity.

I'm a marginal baseball fan. I pay attention to the general goings on, catch a few games here and there, but generally don't get preoccupied by it. If the Tigers are playing well, I'll give it a bit of extra attention, but since its been almost 20 years since they've played a game that meant anything, its sort of hard to care.

American football is the only sport that 'matters' to me. I love hockey too, but there would be a gap in my autumn without watching the Lions perpetually lose (:blink:) and the Michigan/Ohio State annual rivalry.

Angels rule! I also like the Red Sox because I hate the Yankees, it's a great rivalry though.

The steroids scandal really hurt the sport in my eyes but still I enjoy watching when it's playoff time. I never watch the regular season, there is way too many games. They should reduce the number of games played.

Edited by tflex

From what I understand, he originally signed as a free Agent with the Mets at 18 and played through all the minor leagues before being traded to KC for a potential spot in the majors, he's Australian so you can probably work out who he is from a few googles. From what he's told me of his minor league experience, the number of games played is just grueling, at least in the majors he got flown to play, in the minor leagues he'd play, get on a bus all night to some god forsaken place, play, train, back on the bus to sleep, play, train, etc etc for a six day week. I've only seen him play in Australia, and I guess I didn't find it boring because I was excited for him, and to be watching someone I knew play at an elite level.