UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archaeologists To Establish True Value Of Roman Silver Coins

An archaeologist at the University of Liverpool is examining more than 1,000 Roman silver coins from museums around the world in order to establish their true economic value. Dr Matthew Ponting, from the University's School of Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology, is investigating the chemical composition of the coins to further understanding of how and where they were made. Dr Ponting believes that analysis of the coins will also shed more light on the political and economic issues of the Roman Empire.

more at Eurekalert

"By measuring the isotopes of lead in the coins it is often possible to ascertain where that metal came from. This is done by comparing the isotopic 'signature' of the silver coin, with isotopic 'signatures' of known Roman silver mining regions. In this way I hope to be able to investigate where Rome was getting its silver from."

Well aren't we already told that for at least a couple of hundred years after the 2nd Punic War most of the silver came from Iberia near Carthago Novo?

"By measuring the isotopes of lead in the coins it is often possible to ascertain where that metal came from. This is done by comparing the isotopic 'signature' of the silver coin, with isotopic 'signatures' of known Roman silver mining regions. In this way I hope to be able to investigate where Rome was getting its silver from."

Well aren't we already told that for at least a couple of hundred years after the 2nd Punic War most of the silver came from Iberia near Carthago Novo?

I'm curious about this report and look forward to hearing more. Yes, I thought tracing of gold and silver sources for coins was not that new. Also the concept of 'economic value' mentioned in the report seems to pose a question that an archaeologist couldn't expect to answer: you would need social historians (or even economic historians!) for that.