UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romanion?

In reading the Byzantium Empire thread, you guys keep using the term 'Romanion' for that period, too. At least, I think...I've never heard that before. What exactly does it refer to?

Thanks!

It's the Greek version of "Roman Empire"...

The Latin term many know is Imperium Romanorum and the direct Greek translation is Basileia Romaion.

It refers to the period most traditionally, (starting in the 18th century I beleive), with what we all know today to be the Byzantine Empire, however during that empire's existance and to many afterward it was simply called the Roman Empire since by thier logic and reasoning they were the legitmate Romans and still Romans from when they first became part of the traditional empire until they were finally taken by the Turks. You will also see references occasionly to areas of Greece and Asia Minor being called by the Turks and Arabs as the "Rum", which translates to Rome or the land of the Romans. The term Byzantine is a recent name, but several of us here do not use the term so much, since we prefer to call them what I think many of us clearly see them as... the Roman Empire... hope this helps.

Edited by Neos Dionysos

It's the Greek version of "Roman Empire"...

The Latin term many know is Imperium Romanorum and the direct Greek translation is Basileia Romaion.

It refers to the period most traditionally, (starting in the 18th century I beleive), with what we all know today to be the Byzantine Empire, however during that empire's existance and to many afterward it was simply called the Roman Empire since by thier logic and reasoning they were the legitmate Romans and still Romans from when they first became part of the traditional empire until they were finally taken by the Turks. You will also see references occasionly to areas of Greece and Asia Minor being called by the Turks and Arabs as the "Rum", which translates to Rome or the land of the Romans. The term Byzantine is a recent name, but several of us here do not use the term so much, since we prefer to call them what I think many of us clearly see them as... the Roman Empire... hope this helps.

Indeed, Romanion is a bit of a bastardization of Romanorum and Romaion. Forgive my taking liberty with its use, but I think its important to indicate, as Neos pointed out, that the east still considered itself a continuation of the Roman empire, hence its inclusion spattered throughout the site.