UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Alexandrian War, The African War, The Spanish War.

Germanicus

While I enjoy Caesars writing immensly, I have just completed these three books from the Civil Wars and found them pretty darn entertaining. Not as cleverly put, but more down and dirty.

While the Author is unknown, I suspect The Alexandrian War and at least the Spanish War to have been written by two different authors. I get the feeling (something thats been proposed before) that the Spanish War may have been written by a Centurion, or one of the rank and file. It's obvious that the person writing knew little of what was actually said in the command tent, but he appears to have first hand knowledge of what went on in the front lines, of punishments carried out, and small setbacks etc. His partisanship is obvious, as is his pride in the Caesarean Legions soldiering.

Anyone got any theories as to who the author may have been for any of these three books ? He almost certainly would have mentioned himself in them.

Aulus Hirtius has long been credited as the writer of the eighth book of 'The Gallic Wars' and 'The Alexandrian War', but the authorship of the others is in doubt. The ancients apparantly thought that Hirtius wrote The African War and the Spanish War but modern scholars seem to think he may have been an editor. Unfortunately his massive correspondence with Cicero (a personal friend), which probably could have provided some answers, is lost to history.

Personally, perhaps my brain doesn't work in the same way as others, but I have a hard time differentiating between the styles of the 'non Caesar' books.

While I enjoy Caesars writing immensly, I have just completed these three books from the Civil Wars and found them pretty darn entertaining. Not as cleverly put, but more down and dirty.

While the Author is unknown, I suspect The Alexandrian War and at least the Spanish War to have been written by two different authors. I get the feeling (something thats been proposed before) that the Spanish War may have been written by a Centurion, or one of the rank and file. It's obvious that the person writing knew little of what was actually said in the command tent, but he appears to have first hand knowledge of what went on in the front lines, of punishments carried out, and small setbacks etc. His partisanship is obvious, as is his pride in the Caesarean Legions soldiering.

Anyone got any theories as to who the author may have been for any of these three books ? He almost certainly would have mentioned himself in them.

I doubt a centurion would write books. They were career officers, and just like modern soldiers of that type, would likely have a no-nonsense approach to life. I also doubt they would have found the time to write even when retired from legion service. More likely the tale was written by a senior officer, identity unknown, who would have led a life more given to literary pursuits afterwards.

Edited by caldrail

I doubt a centurion would write books. They were career officers, and just like modern soldiers of that type, would likely have a no-nonsense approach to life. I also doubt they would have found the time to write even when retired from legion service. More likely the tale was written by a senior officer, identity unknown, who would have led a life more given to literary pursuits afterwards.

Yes I know what you mean. I read a few pages last night actually where the author describes "our party, consisting of knights and senators", but then he's always saying "our rampart" or "our men".

Another couple of pages were sensational and so so bloody, in the space of a few paragraphs he desribes soldiers burned alive, beheaded (84 of them), crucifixion, and a seige wall constructed entirely of siezed weapons and bodies of the slain.