UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ziriel

A Roman-ish Empire Today

Do you think today's society would tolerate or approve of an empire, run in the same way as the Romans did?

Or did the events of 476 or 1453 show that the world no longer wished to have such 'governments'?

Do you think today's society would tolerate or approve of an empire, run in the same way as the Romans did?

Or did the events of 476 or 1453 show that the world no longer wished to have such 'governments'?

We talked about that a bit here... A Roman Empire Today I can't quite recall the exact context of the discussion, but you may find a bit of what you are looking for.

Guest Icaromenippus

There is a roman-ish empire today that does not want to be viewed as an empire, it is the usa. Im not saying its a bad thing, i believe that a strong central government is a good thing. What i am saying is that you should try comparing rome and the usa to each other.

In my opinion, no empire can stand the test of time if it doesn't depend on and allow for the participation of the governed. The Roman empire was more successful than most precisely because it was more inclusive than its competitors, but compared to true republics (as opposed to "People's Republics", for example), empires are doomed and backwards.

I tend to agree with what Polybius said in his 6th Chapter. Every thing is part of a grand cycle & no government type will ever become totaly obsolete.

To answer your question, the only reason it might not fly right now is because a couple of countries got sparky in the 20th Century and gave it a whirl. The world obviously didn't like it but 'their people' in a general sense embraced it enough to let it happen.

Will that happen again someday? Most likely

The European Union comes to mind.

Sometimes I think they just made this Union to oppose the USA. Remember Chirac's vision of a "Multi polar world"?

The European Union is an attempt by politicians to make their names in the history books. Just by existing it will become a rival to the US. Truth is, it has nothing more to offer its citizens than they already have.

The romans on the other hand had an entire culture packaged and waiting to export. Why did germanic tribes overrun it in the 5th century? Because they wanted the good stuff for themselves, although I agree they were persuaded by pressure from the east.

I'm glad you agree with me. You're referring to the Huns as "the pressure from the east", right?

I think he's referring to the Byzantines, Ovid. Odoacer, the Germanic tribe ruler who deposed Romulus Augustus, was supported by Emperor Zeno in Constantinople. Odoacer gave Zeno the western imperial regalia, and "in return", Odoacer was elevated to the rank of patrician.

I'm referring to both cultures :)

I think it would be virtually impossible, and even undesirable, to erect the particular mechanisms of the Roman Empire on the world today.

However, I'm of the opinion Ancient Rome still has much to teach us moderns, and we could do well to internalize it. I find many things in the Roman world view - especially in pre-Theodosius Rome - preferable to the current modern viewpoints.

I also appreciate the fact the Roman Empire was the last time the Western world was anything resembling a united front, and thus forms a common foundation for Europeans and their former colonies. Not to start an argument on modern politics, but I really do believe the West could stand a bit of Roman unity in the immediate future. These arguments that Europeans have amongst themselves, or that Europeans have with Americans, seem miniscule compared to the West's difference with Sinic and especially Islamic cultures.

Thus I look to the Romans as cultural forebears, but a resurrected empire is a pipe dream.

Oh. Well, I like the relative lack of racism as moderns understand the concept. The incorporation of locals into imperial structures. The relative religious tolerance (in Pagan Rome, at least). And most of all the emphasis on such values as dignitas, pietas and auctoritas as the measure of a man.

And sewers. Can't beat a good sewer system.

The U.S. government was loosely founded on Roman principles. President and vice-president - two consuls.

Senate and comitia(?) - senate and house. All equally corrupt.