UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Commemorate Caesar: Take A Deep Breath

Emperor Goblinus

Some day someone will get those molecules to go backwards and it will settle the question as to whether Gaius said "Et tu Brutus?" or "Kia Su Teknon" ,transliteration of the Greek - I hope, "And Thou My Child?".

This would then go a way towards settling the question in the minds of some as to wheather Brutus (the usurer) was Gaius' son or not. In my opinion, Gaius would have had to start his rakes life at a very early age. Not impossible - for Gaius.

Some day someone will get those molecules to go backwards and it will settle the question as to whether Gaius said "Et tu Brutus?" or "Kia Su Teknon" ,transliteration of the Greek - I hope, "And Thou My Child?".

This would then go a way towards settling the question in the minds of some as to wheather Brutus (the usurer) was Gaius' son or not. In my opinion, Gaius would have had to start his rakes life at a very early age. Not impossible - for Gaius.

I am a firm believer in the theory that he wouldn't have had the opportunity for any such dramatic last statement.

Plutarch probably says it best...

And it is said by some writers that although Caesar defended himself against the rest and darted this way and that and cried aloud, when he saw that Brutus had drawn his dagger, he pulled his toga down over his head and sank, either by chance or because pushed there by his murderers, against the pedestal on which the statue of Pompey stood.

Even if he was shouting and/or vocalizing, the thought of calmy and clearly delivering 'Et tu Brute' is just a bit too dramatically Shakespeare. Possible of course, but still unlikely. (All in my rather sometimes humble and sometimes not opinion :))

Unlike all too many others, his parents were married and he didn't have to choose a father. :angry:

Oh, that's a good point. Vain tyrant never saw it coming. Happy?

Actually according to the soothsayers he did see it coming. I suppose you might say that the vain tyrant did see it coming and martyred himself. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike all too many others, his parents were married and he didn't have to choose a father. :angry:

Oh, that's a good point. Vain tyrant never saw it coming. Happy?

Actually according to the soothsayers he did see it coming. I suppose you might say that the vain tyrant did see it coming and martyred himself. :(

I have seen in two places that I can recall at the moment that this theory of Caesar the martyr has been proposed. One was on a television show were some Italian Detective investigated the murder of Caesar. Not very scientific but interesting. The other was a book called The Roman Revolution, which I believe was written in the 1930's. The name of the author escapes me, but the point was about the same. That Caesar in failing health and unsure of what course to take is aware that a conspiracy is brewing from somewhere, but allows himself to follow the course of events that lead to his death. I can