UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Was Theodosius "great?"

Theodosius is often called "the Great," like Constantine the Great. While I think that Constantine earned his title, what other than being the last emperor to rule both the East and the West, made Theodosius "Great?" Though he won some victories over the Goths, his compromises with them allowed them to have virtual kingdoms within the empire.

what other than being the last emperor to rule both the East and the West, made Theodosius "Great?"

The fact that he was a supporter of Christianity and Christian historians thusly labelled him as Great for his deeds regarding religion.

...But apart from that, very little.

He's the Christian killjoy who stopped the Olympic Games, closed The Oracle of Delphi, closed Platos' Academy and had the Books of Sybilline Prophesy burned. Maybe to some at the time he was great, but not to me.

Theodosius is often called "the Great," like Constantine the Great. While I think that Constantine earned his title, what other than being the last emperor to rule both the East and the West, made Theodosius "Great?" Though he won some victories over the Goths, his compromises with them allowed them to have virtual kingdoms within the empire.

Well those compromises he had little he could barter... following Adrianople he had to make those concessions otherwise stability in the East would not have been secured and he would not have been able to fight off the rivals of the West. His compromises were a last resort as well, since they did not occur until years later following Adrianople...

I'm sure there's historians all over that will never forgive Theodosius for ordering the destruction of a lot of what he saw as "pagan" material, including the terrible damage to the Alexandrian Library which he caused.

I'm sure there's historians all over that will never forgive Theodosius for ordering the destruction of a lot of what he saw as "pagan" material, including the terrible damage to the Alexandrian Library which he caused.

I thought it was the Arab invasions in the 7th century that destroyed the library... ?? I have never come across info saying Theodosius had a part in it...

Edited by Neos Dionysos

Theodosius didn`t order to destroy books of the Alexandrian Library, it was a private initiative of Egyptian christians. And they didn`t destroy all books, but only part of them. See Orosius, VI.15.31

• 3 weeks later...

For a late imperial figure I guess he could be called great. Consider he won the important battles, treated his barbarian mercenaries well (which kept them loyal to the cause) and presided over one of the last stable times the empire would enjoy. I think the reason that his title leaves a sour taste in one's mouth is that he didn't live long enough to allow his sons to grow into their positions. Both Arcadius and Honorius were too young to govern the empire. Both fell under the sway of their retainers and were generally ineffective leaders.

Im not a great admirer of Theodosius.

He was responsible for the destruction of extremely magnificent buildings, namely the numerous Pagan temples he ordered torn down in his religious fanaticism. Thse buildings where irreplacable and he ordered them torn down. He was also resonsible for the ruthless massacre of thousands of his own subjects because a few of them in a certain city insulted him by breaking some of his statues. But to also kill innocent people as an example?

He also openly subjugated himself to the authority of the Church and priests and was heavily manipulated by them, hence the title, "the Great". (in my opinion anyway...)

• 2 weeks later...