UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar & Cato - The Trial Of Lentulus

Guest Arcani

Guest Arcani

I have searched high and low, near and far, without relief :wacko:

I have seen a record of the senate debate on the fate of Lentelus, but for the life of me I can't remember where. Julius Gaius arguing with Cato on the nature of life and death, the morality of the execution, the rights of the state over its citizens and the purview of the gods.

Eventually Lentelus was put to death, but the debate was one that has defined the nature of humanity balanced by the security of the Republic.

If anyone knows where i can find a copy of the senate debate, please let me know.

Probably in Sallust's Catiline

It's unlikely to be a completely accurate record (though the flaour is probably right enough. Caesar's and Cato's speeches were taken down by Cicero's recorders and so Sallust probably had access to them. But it can be demonstrated that Sallustis not above 'improving' speeches so they are possibly not 100% as delivered.

Edited by Furius Venator

• 1 year later...
I have searched high and low, near and far, without relief :D

I have seen a record of the senate debate on the fate of Lentelus, but for the life of me I can't remember where. Julius Gaius arguing with Cato on the nature of life and death, the morality of the execution, the rights of the state over its citizens and the purview of the gods.

Eventually Lentelus was put to death, but the debate was one that has defined the nature of humanity balanced by the security of the Republic.

If anyone knows where i can find a copy of the senate debate, please let me know.

Sallustius Catilinae Coniuratio or Bellum Catilinarium 48-55

Probably in Sallust's Catiline

It's unlikely to be a completely accurate record (though the flaour is probably right enough. Caesar's and Cato's speeches were taken down by Cicero's recorders and so Sallust probably had access to them. But it can be demonstrated that Sallustis not above 'improving' speeches so they are possibly not 100% as delivered.

The speeches of Cato and Caesar are almost certainly a fabrication, mustered up by Sallust's desire to tell an over-dramatic narrative. The use of speeches in prose was often employed by the historians of antiquity; this was mainly because it gave them a chance to indulge in a display of rhetoric, but also it laid out, in a fairly clear manner, why two factions are in a state of juxtaposition. What is interesting about Sallust's work is that although he was of a different political calibre to Cato, the words Sallust places in his mouth almost shows a degree of respect for him. He may well have done this to show his admiration for a man who clearly possessed a greater persona than he did