UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Anna Notara?

I've been reading about the Fall of Constantinople and Constantine XI's last days, and I stumbled across one name: Anna Notara. Can anyone tell me who she might be, aside from being the daughter Loukas Notaras (the Great Duke of Constantinople)?

From what I've read, with Constantine asking the Genoese to put her aboard their ship for protection, and her usage of the name Anna Notara Paleologa, I think it can be inferred that she was in a relationship with him... But perhaps anyone could provide me with proof? Please? :) Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Thanks, but I've been really looking for the reason why some texts describing the scene on Constantine XI's farewell to Anna mention the word 'beloved,' as if hinting a certain closeness. From what I've read, she seems to be a relative, because of her mother being a Paleologi as he was. Could that be it?

From what I've read, she seems to be a relative, because of her mother being a Paleologi as he was. Could that be it?

I found a discussion titled "Loukas Notaras' Wife" archived from the RootsWeb medieval genealogy message board, in which the following is stated by one researcher, regarding Anna Notara.

From

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-M...3-05/1052056469

"Moreover, the Asanai used the surname 'Palaiologos', being descendants of a daughter of Michael VIII: this fact can explain satisfactorily why Anna Notara also used that surname, having inherited it from her mother."

I haven't the inclination to read through every posting there, but if you have the time and inclination, perhaps you might be able to glean a bit more information regarding Anna Notara's ancestry, and then report back here.

Here is the list of archived messages. You can scroll down (or, perhaps easier, use Control +F) to find all mentions of "Loukas Notaras."

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2003-05

-- Nephele