UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Detailed Material On Dacia And Thrace

hey guys. i remember reading a few posts some time ago about how the dacians and thracians were not so backwards. i've been trying to find some info of recent findings proving this and some material that describes these folks in detail. like religion, culture, military ect. i've tried using google but all i get is rtw stuff and i get distracted for a week ;) can anyone help? thanks

Well, I'll try to answer this the best I can. They were very similar. The Dacians were semi-civilized while the Thracians were fully civilized. The Thracian religion was similar to the Greek and Macedonian religion. They are similar though many Thracian units were that of Dacian origin. The falxmen was adopted by the Thracians from the Dacians. Dacians were ancient Thracian people living in Moesia near the Alps. The Dacian God was named Zalxomis, who has many references in Greek text. The problem is their God took on Celtic characteristics. Thracians were more on the Greek side of influence while the Dacians would be more Celtic. The Dacians would have heavy swordsman, while the Thracians would have sperman similar to Alexander the Great's in his hay day. I hope this answered some questions, and if anyone would like to correct me feel free.

I know, they all are. Thats why they believed in the same Gods, some maybe more than others. For example Crete liked Poseidon because they were primarily sea people. Even Italy was under the influence of the Greek Gods. Macedonia, Greece, Cyprus and many other islands and nations around the Balkans shared the same mentality and influence. I may need to word my posts more coherently, but I did mean what I said. Dacia and Thrace were very similar. However whoever thinks that Thracia and Scythia were the same that not true. Remember Greek influence came anywhere from France to India.

Edited by Rameses the Great

I will try to rectify some of mistakes made by Ramses the Great. Dacians not living in Moesia, near the Alps. By contrary, they center of country was in north of Danube, in Carpathian Mounts. They are the north branch of thracians. Was not a semi-civilized peoples, they have a kingdoom (a very strong one in his time), an original religion (not influenced at all by celts), by the way, the name of suprem god was Zamolxis or Zalmoxis. Some of they old gods (thracians/dacians gods) influence the greek/romans gods as well (godess Bendis became Artemis/Diana to greeks/romans, or god Sabazios became Dyonisos/Bachus to greeks.The dacians was influenced by greeks and romans especially in economy (mades of coins) and in military (they take some battle machines ,used especially by romans, like ballistes and catapults). About their military organization, some historians say that they have a proportion 1 to 3 betwen cavalry and infantry(this proportion is given even by macedonians writers who tell about Alexander the Great incursion in north of Danube. The cavalry have all bows,many with poisoned arrows (probably spears and ofcourse ,swords).Swords was 3 models.One (with a little spread) was a right one handed sword,"akinakai", inspired by persians sword used by soldiers of Darius the First, who fight against Getians(Dacians) in time of his expedition against schitians. Most spread was the "sica", a one handed curved sword, sharpened on inside edge.The larger model of this was the famous "falx".Because was too large and heavy, and was for 2 hands use, the soldiers dont have a scutum for defence, a big problem when they faced with roman pilum. The falx was used by a limited number of troops, when melee start. The soldiers take a nail formation, storm inside enemy lines and try to breake. Because of this eficacity of this tactic, romans reinforce their armours, and use special prepared legionaires units, who enter in battle just when the falxmen atack. They use the same a ring armour vest and a circular scutum. I hope this will help you a little and i will answher you to other question if i know.

I agree with everything you said, except for the Dacians and Thracians influencing the Greeks and Romans. If anything they were only written in Greek texts. As Athenian 1771 alluded too, the religion of Greece was adopted by many nations, not just one changed by other cultures. The Dacians would have been around the relative point of modern day Switzerland. The northern cultures never inflluenced Mediterranian culture, only the other way around. Dacians were noted to be Germans Gauls, and sometimes Romans. The Roman influence led the Dacians to be civilized peoples. Thracia would be north of Macedonia and from Macedonian decsents. Thracians did have a relative stay in Dacian territory, but did not have much of an effect on them. Much of the Dacian weaponry and armour were Roman based objects.

@ Ramses the Great

I have no ideea what are you taking about. Everything you say it's wrong. Dacia was in today Romania not Switzerland. Dacians were dacians not Gauls or Romans. Dacia was influenced by greeks from pontic colonies, less and later were influeced by romans. Thracia was to the E and NE of Macedonia. Tharacians had no "stay" in Dacia. Dacians were the northen brunch of thracians. Dacians, getae and moesi spoke the same language of thracian origins. Dacian weaponry was quite original.

@ filthy_peasant

If you are interested I'll post a bibliography of books on thracians and dacians in english. If you are interested in something specific will be easier. It will take some time as I post from work.

@ Ramses the Great

I have no ideea what are you taking about. Everything you say it's wrong. Dacia was in today Romania not Switzerland. Dacians were dacians not Gauls or Romans. Dacia was influenced by greeks from pontic colonies, less and later were influeced by romans. Thracia was to the E and NE of Macedonia. Tharacians had no "stay" in Dacia. Dacians were the northen brunch of thracians. Dacians, getae and moesi spoke the same language of thracian origins. Dacian weaponry was quite original.

Your right they have been noted to be in Romania, sorry my fault. They were derived from Roman laguage thats why they have 'Latin' language. Romania is the Germanic word for any culture that has been influenced by Rome in the Blakans. Believe it or not Romania and Romans do actuall have the same content.

Believe me or not, but I live in Romania so I know where the name cames from :D

Dacians spoke a form of thracian, but during the roman conquest the latin became the most important language. Romanian it's a latin language with a thracian substratum and a slavic adstratum (and a ton of neologisms if you ask me)

@ Ramses the Great

@ filthy_peasant

If you are interested I'll post a bibliography of books on thracians and dacians in english. If you are interested in something specific will be easier. It will take some time as I post from work.

please do that would be great. so boiling it all down is greco roman culture, in a series of developing steps, a decendant of the thracian/dacian world? the danube and balkans has taken my interests lately. i also remember reading a book saying the persians believed their ancestors migrated from the danube and modern linguists (if thats how you spell it <_< ) have little doubt about it because iranian and germanic languages have close similarities. though i do find it hard to believe the persians have any clear similiarities with the dacian/thracians. but do they? the name of the book i read is "the enemies of rome" by philip matyszak. fun book but didnt get too detailed about this area. nor the battles between rome and dacia. but thanks for all the recent info guys. i have trouble finding reliable resources on the net. stupid revisionists and uneducated know it alls ruin everything :angry:

No way! Greco-roman culture it's not a descendant of dacians and thracians. The dacians developed their culter later then the greeks and never used much writing. They dont have many similarities other the greek influence on dacians and thracians.

Never heard before that persians come from Europe. They spoke an indo-european language like most europeans, but they went from Central Asia directly to Persia.

Believe me or not, but I live in Romania so I know where the name cames from

Dacians spoke a form of thracian, but during the roman conquest the latin became the most important language. Romanian it's a latin language with a thracian substratum and a slavic adstratum (and a ton of neologisms if you ask me)

Really, why didn't you just say so!? :angry: I would have believed you the first time bud. <_<

please do that would be great. so boiling it all down is greco roman culture, in a series of developing steps, a decendant of the thracian/dacian world? the danube and balkans has taken my interests lately. i also remember reading a book saying the persians believed their ancestors migrated from the danube and modern linguists (if thats how you spell it ) have little doubt about it because iranian and germanic languages have close similarities. though i do find it hard to believe the persians have any clear similiarities with the dacian/thracians. but do they? the name of the book i read is "the enemies of rome" by philip matyszak. fun book but didnt get too detailed about this area. nor the battles between rome and dacia. but thanks for all the recent info guys. i have trouble finding reliable resources on the net. stupid revisionists and uneducated know it alls ruin everything

Who are you talking about, pick your words a bit more carefully please. Are you talking about the internet beeing a know it all, or me?

Believe me or not, but I live in Romania so I know where the name cames from

Really, why didn't you just say so!? :angry: I would have believed you the first time bud. <_<

please do that would be great. so boiling it all down is greco roman culture, in a series of developing steps, a decendant of the thracian/dacian world? the danube and balkans has taken my interests lately. i also remember reading a book saying the persians believed their ancestors migrated from the danube and modern linguists (if thats how you spell it ) have little doubt about it because iranian and germanic languages have close similarities. though i do find it hard to believe the persians have any clear similiarities with the dacian/thracians. but do they? the name of the book i read is "the enemies of rome" by philip matyszak. fun book but didnt get too detailed about this area. nor the battles between rome and dacia. but thanks for all the recent info guys. i have trouble finding reliable resources on the net. stupid revisionists and uneducated know it alls ruin everything

Who are you talking about, pick your words a bit more carefully please. Are you talking about the internet beeing a know it all, or me?

actually i wasnt directing anything twards you or anyboby in this forum. i was refering to the results i get from search engines on the net. try reading words a bit more carefully.