UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philhellene

Pagan Emperors After Constantine

All official emperors except Julian were christian, but what about usurpers?

Philostorgius calls Western Roman emperor-usurper Eugenius pagan (XI, 2). Are there other sources about his belief?

Was Procopius, nephew of Julian, pagan? It seems that сynic Heraclius (he was old friend of Julian, that`s why I think he was pagan) was one of his pals (Eunapius apud Exc. De sent. Mai. P.267).

Philostorgius calls Western Roman emperor-usurper Eugenius pagan (XI, 2). Are there other sources about his belief?

Zosimus is fairly non descript but he describes God as being on the side of Theodosius. Thats not definitive though I suppose.

Ambrose Epistle 57 to Eugenius certainly leaves the impression that the emperor has "heathen" leanings.

Paulinus in his Life of Ambrose mentions that Eugenius was a nominal Christian and it seems that he used Pagans for political and military gain against Theodosius. As Arbogast was the chief power in the western empire and all accounts suggest he was Pagan, it seems pretty safe that there was a concerted effort to restore some semblence of pagan idealism.

I certainly don't think its Theodosian propoganda at any rate. I think that Philostorgius was an Arian and Theodosian was certainly anti-Arian so Philostorgius (even though both were Christian) would have little reason to favor one over another Christian. But he could favor a Nicene Christian (which was anti-arian) over a pagan. In theory that is :lol: