UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Average Pay Earned By Archaeologists And Anthropologists

Viggen

Yes, it's always academic year, which goes July 1-June 30 here. And as far as I know, the summer is part of the salary...well, for professors...those are 12 month salaries. Lecturers, I would imagine, are 9-month salaries, and tend to be on a year-by-year contract.

Yes, it's always academic year, which goes July 1-June 30 here. And as far as I know, the summer is part of the salary...well, for professors...those are 12 month salaries. Lecturers, I would imagine, are 9-month salaries, and tend to be on a year-by-year contract.

One of my best friends is a prof down at Chapel Hill whose salary just hit the six-figure mark. She's 'living large'; a load of one class per semester (if I remember correctly), research in an area she loves (medical studies), tons of free time. Fifteen years ago she was barely making it day to day in Russia, now she's buying two homes and driving a beemer.

Morale of the story I guess is if your're lucky your interests will get you a Phd (she has two believe it or not--long story) in the right fields and work in the right university. Of course there are other important things besides money but it doesn't hurt to get paid well.

Morale of the story I guess is if your're lucky your interests will get you a Phd (she has two believe it or not--long story) in the right fields and work in the right university. Of course there are other important things besides money but it doesn't hurt to get paid well.

This is what keeps me going in finishing the blasted dissertation...the fact that one day I will, indeed, no longer be at the poverty line. heh

Are there any proper (heh) i.e field archaeologists living it large? (without finding the tonb of a forgotten Pharoah or other such insane luck/skill).