UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romans And Britons (in Nw Britain).

Pertinax

I thought a very brief review would be worth posting.

This book is the 2004 revised edition of Shoters '93 work, being himself Emeritus Professor at lancaster University. I added a side note to Ursus' blog entry regarding De La Bedoyeres "Roman Britain" book (just published), namely that the subject volume is an excellent , up to date , detailed "state of our knowledge" .

However the subject is very specific and the scholarly detail not strictly assimilable to a casual reader, I will be carrying the work as a field reference when photographing the North Western sites: if you need very detailed information -and some very well thought out revised Flavian history then this is an excellent book. Shotter has revised the book massivley in the light of ongoing dig work here, and points to exciting possible discoveries which may radically change the map of Roman Brigantia.

The listing of everything from fortress to marching camp (and logical extrapolation of data) are excellent .

The photos are quite good , but the book is a low volume print so they are workmanlike rather than spectacular, however they are good enough to guide you in the field.

If you require precise strategic information on Flavian/Trajanic/Hadrianic /Antonine building sequences then it is in this work.

Ursus is impressed with De La Bedoyeres work and rightly so , its a good commercial work of quality finish , this honest little "local history" is a down-in -the -dirt nuts and bolts job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...7926758-5191654

Edited by Pertinax