UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Badllarma

Building Materials

Guest Badllarma

Hi all i'm working on a 3D project at present and just stuck on one thing for texturing

What would the building roofs of Roman forts built in the North of the UK (Cumbria) be made up of ? Would it be the tiles used every where else? Or materials around the area the buildings were built E.G Cumbrian slate

cheers for any info

andy

probably tiles made in the Chester "factory" ( with a Leg XX stamp)but local stone was always used ( more likely Hadrianic period onwards) for work if it could be obtained nearby

Roman forts were as pre-fabricated as possible, so a supply of clay tiles may well have been available. Slate would have been used later I think, for repairs, if similar clay tiles weren't available. I'll check some sources on this.

Pre -Hadrianic till maybe about 150 AD many places were still "turf and timber" . Check the gallery for my tile shot from Luguvallum.In this area we only have stone and slate evidence from 150 onwards.

http://spaces.msn.com/triclinium/

Thatch was generally unacceptable as roofing due to material supply and fire risk, although it may have happened occaisionally. Wooden shingles (preferably oak) were a common alternative. As indicated, slate was a later development and only used if present in the area of construction.