UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fishing In Roman Times

Viggen

There is an exhibition (and i might visit it) in my area (Museum Klagenfurt) about the history of fishing..

(some infos via Google Translate including an amazingly well preserved logboat from the 6th century that was discovered in a lake in then province of Noricum (although probalby then under Theoderichs rule already)...

A high resolution image of the boat that was found 6 years ago in a fresh water lake about 30 miles from my hometown you can see here http://www.landesmuseum-ktn.at/Resources/Einbaum.jpg

...anyway, what do we know about fishing in roman times?

cheers

viggen

...anyway, what do we know about fishing in roman times?

Quite a lot, references were made incidentaly in most areas of Roman writing from Pliny (Book 32) to satires.

Here is a good web article that touches on the subject: Fisheries in the Roman period and fisheries in Israel today

Also, here is an online copy of Ovid's Halieutica for those Latin readers which is a poem about fishing.

Edited by Pantagathus

I get the impression that fishing hasn't really changed much in 3000 yeras or so, apart from some clever gear in recent times. Technique might have improved a bit as well I guess, but I would expect a roman fisherman to do well in competition. He's fishing for lunch, not a photograph.

• 3 weeks later...

So that is what we would call the "festival of the green drake / grey drake" that you (and the ancient fisherman are emulating).