UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Offering Condolences

There's something that I'm curious about. So many times I see tombstones erected by friends and family to commemorate a fallen soldier. I notice that the individual named isn't always buried there. So... Did roman commanders write 'letters' to the mans family praising his virtues and offering condolences for their loss? Or was it that a young man said goodbye to his weeping mother one day and never returned? Does anyone know about this?

Most of the evidence (papyrus letters) is focused in Egypt because of the arrid conditions are perfect for such preservation there but it seemed to be very common for a young man serving accross the Empire to stay in touch with their families, especially their mothers.

I would think that communication of ones demise to next of kin would also be in the norm. At least during the Imperial period and probably during the earlier phases as well.

Isn't one of the Vindolanda tablets, a letter about a soldier's relatives sending him socks and underwear?

Phil

yes indeed, the very first tablet ever recovered " 20 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of sandals and 2 pairs of underpants"( it is one of the Bataviian cohort who recieved the letter).

online here:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...cial_s%26sa%3DG

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...&cmd=si&img=447

Edited by Pertinax

yes I agree people wrote to one another, but I'm actually thinking specifically about officers writing to a dead soldiers family after the battle. Did they do this, or was it left to the dead man's mates to let his family know?

Its an educated guess, but I've come to the conclusion that burial clubs did most of this if it happened at all. Officers would probably only concern themselves with especially courageous men, veterans, or senior personnel. Burial clubs existed to ensure the dead soldier was interred and the cost of this came out of their pay.