UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How To Make/tie A Toga

Ok, so I need to wear a skirt or dress for graduation, unfortunately our gowns are white, my skirts are black, and white skirts are hard to find. So my mom came up with the brilliant (teehee) idea to wear a toga under the gown. But how do I make one? And how do I "tie" it? (i know it isn't actually tied)

Genuine togas are HUGE and very difficult to wear without practice. they are heavy, made of wool originally, and it is the weight that in part kept the folds in place.

essentially a toga was a not quite rectangular piece of material - the exact shape is subject of scharly debate - but around fifteen feet by seven for someone five none tall and with an average waist.

You could probably make a stab at a toga by using a double-sized bed sheet.

Place one end over the left shoulder, so it dangles in front of you to at least the knees - you'll have to experiment because it will depend on your size and that of the bed sheet.

Next, bring the rest of the sheet behind you, across your back and under the right arm, then drape it across your front and throw the other end over the left shoulder.

Arrange the folds to look neat and right. You might need to pin the folds on the left shoulder - I would suggest a large brooch (perhaps the sort Scots use to fasten the plaid in place). Linen or a light modern mterial is unlikely to stay in place by itself - but you can help it by using the left hand to grasp the sinus - the part of the toga that crosses your chest diagonally.

NOTE: I am totally unpersuaded that this would look right, nice, stylish or be practical under an academic gown.

Hope this helps though,

Phil

lol WOW I had no clue how huge they actually were. I'm not sure how they managed to even keep the thing on/move lol.

I'll try that though. Thanks for the info!

I promise, I will NOT wear plaid, and tie it in a big knot a'la Animal House or my tenth grade english class :D

I'm not entirely sure what it will look like either, to be honest, part of my reasoning is to annoy the school officials who decided that girls were to wear a dress or skirt (well as long as it isn't pants. They'll throw a fit about pants) and the boys were to wear a suit and tie. Everyone (in my English class at least) is a bit peeved, and we've actually got one guy planning to wear his Scottish garb (this means a kilt). (A good number of us decided that if the girls had to wear dresses, the boys should have to also).

Edited by Lost_Warrior

Ok, I got a piece of fabric long enough, but how does your description not leave the whole left side open? lol I need pictures! (I'll google it :D I love google)

It can't be nearly as impractical as trying to drive in an Irish walking cape.

Well. It's supposed to leave that side fairly open, which is why it was worn with a tunic, and why women didn't wear it all. Maybe a stola or something would work better for you?

We figured something out...the Greek/Roman "peplos"...my mom is making me one (she's quite the seamstress and loves odd clothing). Maybe I'll put a picture up somewhere of some of the things she's made me. I'm wearing a silk "Roman style" tunic right now with neat gold stitching around it. quite comfortable! :blink:

I find out that's actually what she meant when she said "toga" anyhow. Silly mother :lol:

Edited by Lost_Warrior